Thursday, October 8, 2015

Its What Canadians Want?



"IT'S WHAT CANADIANS WANT?" OH REALLY! TOO BAD NOBODY ASKED MY OPINION

WHAT'S WRONG WITH TODAY'S POLITICS, IS JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING!

     My grandfather Stan Jackson, was a huge political watcher, and never refrained from casting his opinion, and it didn't matter whether he was talking to the local preacher, or a candidate for political office. If he didn't like the cut of your jib, or what you happened to be promoting of public policy, he'd sit you down whether you wanted to sit or not, and he would provide a little political tutorial. He was a soft-spoken giant of a man with huge carpenter's hands, who could play a violin as if it had been placed in his hands at birth, with a mandate of one day entertaining those void of happiness. My mother was political as well, but her stubborn streak got in the way, when she found herself in a debate. She would have rather bitten someone she disagreed with, than try to out-muster them with words. My father was quick to put up his dukes, which is pretty much the residue spirit of being a former sailor, but he was an avid reader of newspapers and televised news programs, giving him the ability to debate rather well, anyone who thought he could be pulled onside easily. If you thought you had beaten him in an argument, you might have got a right hook in the beak, once again, due to his North Atlantic Squadron days, and the fact he grew up in a tough Irish neighborhood in Toronto, known as Cabbagetown. I don't think he was a particularly good fighter, because his own nose had been broken four times, or so he used to tell me. Point is, my family were tough bastards when it came to the politics and politicians they supported, if they selected any one at all. I got my embedded Canadian passion for debate, and staunch political opinion, from some pretty hardy souls, who were all proud of their heritage, and were prepared to fight for its honor. They would not have liked to be told, by any candidate out on the hustings, or any political party, that "of course it's what Canadians want," in order to sell the worth of an objective.
     I promised my readers and my wife, on my life, that I would refrain from writing about political issues, no matter what the level of government, and especially, offering critiques of the present federal election campaign; or offering my opinion on the best party and leader, to take us into the future. I belonged to the Conservative Party for a year, and that didn't do it for me, and during a provincial election night, when I was a Part scrutineer, my cat was run over on Ontario Street. It was a sign, to my way of thinking, that I'd most certainly rather be home on my off-hours, than trying to get along, where, it's obvious, I don't belong. I am a very political animal, because of my training in journalism, mostly on the job, and these days, I would find it almost impossible to be compatible with any of the existing parties, and what they think voters and constituents want to hear; until elected, when promises made to gain votes, become yesterday's news.
      What makes me angry these days, is the over-used comment, "It's what Canadians' want!" I haven't agreed with even one candidate so far, who has told me what I want; as there's a pretty big chasm between our wish lists. For one thing, I have always been a proud Canadian, and I'd like to think my forty years of writing about the good graces of living here, would count for something. My parents were proud Canadians, and my father served on the warship Coaticook, as part of the North Atlantic Squadron, during the Second World War, and was a former executive of the Bracebridge Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. Heck, going further back than this, my family were United Empire Loyalists, even to the point of having fought in the American Revolution, for England, and a number of family members were in the volunteer regiments, prepared to engage for Britain, and the fledgling Canada, during the War of 1812. I could go on, and on, especially if I started to look at family members who served in the First and Second World Wars, as part of the Allied Forces. I achieved passing grades on all my civic studies in public and high school, and I've never once been late on my taxes because I know how much the government needs my contribution.
     There is a time, however, when I'd like to be asked my opinion, as a Canadian, about what I would like as a new initiative for our country; or as a refurbished program I might happen to support. This election, like so many others, hasn't really afforded us too much opportunity to discuss any of our concerns or interests; and considering we have a main street shop here in Gravenhurst, you'd think we might see at least one of the federal candidates for our Riding, poke their head through the front door, out of general interest, about how many votes might be lurking within. Seeing as we're Canadians, and they're pretty sure what we want for our nation's future, (because that's what I hear in their advertising, several times each hour, interrupting my television programs), I suppose it would be pointless to ask us a question they've already answered on our behalf.
     I don't like being challenged about my degree of national affection. I feel all three major parties have contributed to this assault on my Canadian pride, by suggesting, without talking to me, I want what they want, and frankly, it's just not so. "Canadians want," is a statement, not a question, and it's presumptuous to a fault. What I want most of all, is for whoever is elected this time around, to stop the ridiculous generalizations, because they don't have any proof, only a smattering at best, we want what they say are important Canadian values. For one thing, I'm pretty keen on the preservation of democracy, and it has been taking a beating as of late. I don't feel my opinion counts for much, and I'm obviously so low on the priority list, not a single candidate has thought to talk to the man with the blog. Even though I promised in advance, not to use it for any candidate's political gain, once the election was called, you'd still think being hungry for votes, it would be imperative to reach out to as many constituents as possible, to as they say, "get the message out." Maybe they could have convinced me to write a blog in their support. Who knows? In our neighborhood at home, and on the main street here, you'd never know there was an election going on, despite the fact, that on election day, it will have been the longest one in Canadian history. If they're so darn sure what I want as a typical Canadian, how come everything they direct that toward, as policy, doesn't come even close to what I would even think of supporting. How many others have listened to these political advertisements, and wondered who the hell they're talking to; maybe on occasion, you have to look behind the sofa or arm chair, to see if there's someone else in the room you didn't know about, who may be on board with the plan you reject.
     I really expected this election to be an old fashioned "barn burner" of an affair, given the length of the campaign, and the serious national issues up for debate. The televised debates have been dull and lacking in anything more than calm, and only slightly ragged diplomacy; when what we need is a "dropping-of-the-gloves", in the way of debate, so that we could see what these folks are like when seriously provoked. I guess that's the problem. Nothing is being thrown into the forum, that would really piss one of them off, in order to generate some fire belching. Instead, we've got a national fight where opponents are hitting each other with audible water noodles, and feeling apologetic about hitting back too hard. I'd like it very much if Don Cherry was the moderator, or guest antagonist, to get their true, pent-up emotions, out there on public display, as retaliation to something that is remotely connected to what I would like seriously challenged, beyond polite debate! As a leadership model, I would indeed, like to see a candidate kick some ass, in the verbal sense, and show me what moxy they possess to represent our country, on the international scene. I certainly haven't seen even a thin example of the kind of tough, aggressive, in your face campaigning, that would make me say, "Holy mackinaw, that candidate is as driving as the north wind; as bold and stalwart as a Canadian winter is long." I hate it when I hear members of the electorate saying things like, "one is as good as the other." This diminishes my hopes for the future.
     I expect, that before the federal election night, I will be bombarded with even more campaign commercials, that will tell me, as a Canadian, what I want. In my understanding of my rights in this splendid democracy, it's my right to determine what I want, and what I disapprove. It doesn't mean I will achieve much of my want list, in this election, or the next one, but damn-it, I will at least insist on the right to disagree with whoever is elected to lead this country, when they wrongly assume because they were elected, I'm on-side, when it is the furthest thing from the truth.
     Well, there it is folks. The extent of my political activism for this federal election. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: