Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Drawing Precedents From The Past and Build Upon For The Future


DRAWING PRECEDENTS FROM THE PAST; APPRECIATING WHAT THE GENERATIONS ACHIEVED FOR US TO BUILD UPON

WHY WE SHOULD GIVE THANKS TO THE FOUNDING CITIZENS OF OUR TOWN AND REGION

     It doesn't take too long these days, sitting in front of the nightly television news, watching video reports from war-torn countries, and seeing the desperate exodus of millions of refugees, to appreciate, the quiet, safe, hometown we have here, in the hinterland of South Muskoka; a paradise in comparison. Despite some of the typical problems inherent of any hometown on the good old earth, there are communities in much greater peril, from mankind-generated calamities, to natural disasters, claiming lives every minute of every hour of every day. We can always find reasons to complain about something or other, but when it comes right down to the well being of our families, it's a pretty obvious choice where we are best off; the place where we're not going to get blown up by incoming missiles, on the way to the grocery store, or killed on the road to school or work, by concealed land mines planted by adversaries. We've got it pretty good here, and as far as trading places, I dare say, there would be few wishing to join the plight of the displaced people of the Middle East, when they can live here free of war. Yes we should be thankful. It is the perfect week to bestow these thanks, and what a nice gesture, to send a donation of cash or provisions to the local food bank, to help those of our citizenry presently down on their luck. Thanksgiving in a small town is the best Thanksgiving of all. At least that's what I believe.
     It's logical and even expected, and part of the job description, that someone who claims to be an historian, even if it's more theatre than reality, would find something of importance in what others see as a pile of old and musty paper. It is probably public opinion, that while some celebrants of victory bathe themselves in champagne, the historian instead of getting all wet and sticky, dives into a bin of old documents with reckless abandon.
     The expectation is, that when you inform someone you are an "historian," or "antiquarian," you will get, beyond the rolled-up eyes, a corresponding nod and wink, a nervous frown, and most likely, the conversation will be quickly changed, because, history is so freaking boring. Right? I use the reference to "historian" in my written work, because it is pertinent to the story-line. I don't blurt it out, in public, because folks I'm talking with, generally associate history with those incredibly boring classes we all remember, from back in high school. Honestly, I felt the same, and I almost became a qualified artist, by the sheer volume of doodles I did in my binder every single class. It's to be expected, that if the future historian was bored by classroom studies, well, there's a fair bit of truth to the suggestion, history wasn't taught the way it should have been. And although Suzanne tried her best as a history teacher to instill some excitement in class, and improve appreciation for heritage issues, she also didn't have a lot of wiggle room to manipulate curriculum.
     Today, when I write casually about being thankful, that our family lives in a charming, kindly, benevolent home town, and region, here in Ontario, I do so in the contemporary sense. Always with high regards for the citizenry who have made it a good all-round community; while stalwartly maintaining a sharp reverence, for what our citizens of the past, have sculpted for our benefit, from as far back as pioneer times. I find it's the one flagrant violation today, of a modern way of thinking, that most offends me as a working historian, and troubles me about the welfare of the future; because it's unquestionably self-defeating to dismiss the precedents of the past, that have been our foundation, as abstract as that seems to modernists, who prefer to only look forward.
     There have been many revered writer / philosophers, who have opined, that history is best forgotten, so as not to get in the way of future progress. "The past is past, so let's get on with making the future." I don't disagree about the "past being past," just the part about it being of lesser importance, than leap-frogging what many don't understand, without fear of consequence. Precedents aren't all they're cracked-up to be, these visionaries argue; precendants are like the inches hacked away to build a path that will remain a path forever, and ever, if useful to future generations. Why is it necessary to re-visit time and again, the inch by inch process of building it? Isn't it more important to recognized the fact a path was built, that heralded an easier way to travel, and initiated, by its linkage, even more progressive building down the road. The nitty-gritty of history seems to annoy those who wish to get on with their lives, and find it moot, that self proclaimed historians like me, would continue to find meaning in the routines of a former population, trying to make a home out of the wild woods. I get it! Today, there are more citizens than ever, who would think the same, and feel there was nothing wrong at all, about throwing out old letters, and historic documents, because they represent clutter in the modern scheme of order and social conscience. I can't tell these futurists they are wrong, for dismissing the relevance of footholds, as I see the worth of historical detail, such that if we were climbing a rock cliff, these anchors in the rock would be highly useful, and potentially save the climber from falling to a nasty demise.
     When I look at our home town, in this contemporary mood, forgive the stubborn, old fashioned historian, from overlapping what is in "the now," with what I know of the past. Good stuff and bad blended into the mix, whether it is contemporary or truly antiquated, it doesn't matter. For me, I could never describe Gravenhurst, or Muskoka, as a district, without overlapping the decades to create a realistic, responsible characterization; having the full dimension, color and dynamic of a town "with a past." I am always looking for ways to present this side of the historian's lament, and reach those in our community, who believe the present and future are all that matters. I've met local politicians who were so stubbornly forward minded, they refused to acknowledge the protocols and precedents, because they wrongly believed them, the corrupting influence against progress. If someone warned me about walking in an area, where rattlesnakes had been witnessed, sometime earlier, I would heed the advice, based on my knowledge of the current information, and what I know of our region, as a habitat for these endangered creatures. I would thusly, take a wide swing for their good, in case I stepped on one, and my health and welfare, not wishing to be bitten. I can't tell you how many folks today, if given the same warning, would purposely go out of their way, to walk through the portion of topography where the snakes were basking. When these same individuals get stung, they can't believe it happened, and would most likely turn to the person who warned them in advance, and curse them for not having used physical restraint to halt their progress. And then they would undoubtedly beg for medical assistance. It would seem logical, for the injured individual to have been influenced, against ever doing something as foolish again. But the chances are high, they would fall into the class of repeat offenders. To them precedents are for fools.
     When I look out on the main street of our town, I am reminded of all the precedent setting events that have happened on this stretch of Muskoka Road, quite literally, from the beginning of village life. I am looking upon a limited, framed scene, from an October 2015 perspective, yet the color in the story comes from knowing what "hometown" has meant for all these years. At a time of Thanksgiving, I do think everyone, even the modernists, who don't give a hoot about the old days, and old ways, let alone what happened yesterday, (even their own part in history), should pause to think about what really characterizes the place in which they dwell, whether rural or urban. What kind of things should we recall, when judging our own place in this community, or frankly, wherever you come from, or call home. There is always something from the past, that rings important, for how we perceive the present, and what expectations we have for the future. I want to give you a small but poignant example, of what kind of historical precendants, influence historians like me, to stay the course, to keep searching for information sources; to then offer back our finds for the benefit of hometown citizens, and interested others, who really need to know what kind of reputation we have been conscripted to uphold. Despite the banging heads of politics, and public disagreements, the history stays the same. We can't change it, but we can use it to better our futures. At least in my mind.
     In the archives material I have been sorting through for the past week, generously donated by a conscientious citizen, Suzanne found a long-ago letter-to-the-editor, from a Gravenhurst citizen, serving overseas, part of the 3rd Light French Mortar Battery, of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, during the First World War. The soldier, a farm kid, from rural Ontario, who was thrown into the bloody battles in trench warfare in France, writes about the experience, so his hometown would appreciate the effort and sacrifice, all Allied soldiers were committing for love of home and nation. It is one of the most compelling war time letters I've ever read, and the message is entirely relevant to modern times, and the conflicts ocurring at present in Europe and the Middle East, that could spark a world war with one ill-conceived command. The letter writer never made it back to Gravenhurst, the result of injuries sustained, and he is buried in England. But his observations about war, are timeless and important in the contemporary sense, and as hometowners now, we should feel proud to have this record of a Gravenhurst son, reporting on a most horrible circumstance.
     The letter is from Private Hilton Miller (listed as Corporal on his death certificate. as sent by the federal government), undated, and was introduced by the newspaper's editor in the opening paragraph that reads: "The following letter has been received by Mr. and Mrs. Miller from their son Hilton, who is serving with the first Canadian Division in France. He has been in the trenches almost a year, and is the only one left out of the draft that left Parry Sound with which he was connected. The letter was received on Monday last, and was dated in France, June 16th."
     In the words of Private Miller: "Dear Mother and Father (who farmed on Muskoka Beach Road), I have not much time to write just now, and I am feeling so sick and shaken up that I can hardly hold my pencil. I came up last night after a terrible battle. I knew we had to do it but I did not tell you for fear you would worry. I am so thankful to be well and alive, all my friends are either killed or wounded.
     "I am about the only one left out of the draft that left Parry Sound when I did. My best chum was wounded. However, we were successful; we took some prisoners and I have a few of their buttons to send to you when I get a chance; we also took all the lost ground. I do not know when we will be in another scrape but pray I never will; my nerves will never stand it; it has been beyond all description. I will never try to tell anyone about this war, the sooner I forget it the better.
     "I must close now, Dear Parents. I am so thankful God has spared me. I had almost given up hope but I am sure your prayers have not been unanswered. I am feeling a little lonely now that my friends have gone, but I think I will be alright. Love to all, Hilton."
    There are many layers to what we see, and know of each day, about our town and region. This is just one small but poignant example of what is often missed, when we casually dismiss the precedents and heritage, of which we have rightful possession.
    Old historians like me, can be forgiven for our lengthy pauses, when working on our research, reminded regularly, what being a "hometowner" means from the inside out; and why us historical types believe it is important to dive into those piles of old paper, to preserve information, like what is published in the letter above.
    As there are sad stories and unfortunate circumstances to reveal, garnered from these fragile bits and pieces of old paper, there are many others, unfolded and interpreted, that reveal a much more pleasant chronicle, with positive outcomes, to blend into the mix of history, boring as it might first appear. What we history-loving folks know, from first hand delving, is that there is so much more to the story, than what a narrow view reveals. Just ask an archivist, who deals with these materials day-in, day-out, what our history is all about; and see the look of satisfaction, at just being asked.
     Hope you will have a nice, restorative, fulfilling Thanksgiving holiday, wherever you happen to be this weekend.

No comments: