Saturday, October 10, 2015

Blue Jays Deserve Our Support



A FEW COMMENTS FROM THE CHEAP SEATS ABOUT THE BLUE JAYS, MAPLE LEAFS, ARGONAUTS AND RAPTORS

MAYBE FANS SHOULD LIGHTEN-UP ON THEIR POSITIVE THINKING, CHAMPIONSHIP GREED, AND IMPOSE A LITTLE LESS STRESS ON THE PLAYERS


     Throughout sports history, there have been thousands of examples, (if not millions) of individuals and teams, winning championships, despite having been ruled in advance of the playoff, as being clear underdogs. As critiqued of course, by those who were supposed to know a thing or two, about such determinations of "odds-on favorites", and "best bets." And what ultimately constitutes the intimate characteristics of "underdog" in terms of performance comparisons, between players and teams, playing off against each other. Yet history shows, time and again, underdogs win too! If you happen to bet on them, well, this makes for a nice payday.
     I have been a sports fan, (and former columnist), since my earliest years of life, by family law, parked in my playpen, in front of the black and white television, looking through the fuzz of interference at whatever game was on-air; or then listening to the play by play of a hockey game, in the evening, only slightly audible above the static, coming from the tiny speaker of a broken plastic transistor radio; which by the way, I had to keep moving to maintain the signal. When I wasn't watching or listening to sports, I was intimately connected as a player and team-mate, whether it was golf, football, baseball, or hockey. I only quit playing when the body wore out, and I couldn't stay upright on my skates after a mild rush up-ice. My interest in sports has maintained, but now as a watcher, safe from crushing body checks and high sticks to the teeth. I'm an armchair critic, and I yell at the referees and players as if they could actually hear me, and when they do something right, and score as a result, I take credit for having motivated them to do so! Tell me you're any different with a straight face!
     When I was playing hockey in the good old days, superstition played a huge role in performance strategy. I don't think it's much different today, although fans don't always know to what degree a player depends on completing certain rituals, and possessing special trinkets and a talisman or two, feeling vulnerable without. There must be a lot more fans these days, who have never actually played competitive sports, making them unaware just how vulnerable many players feel, when the pressure to perform rises to a near ridiculous, and almost intolerable level. Us hockey-loving oldtimers remember the public scolding we got, as beligerent fans, that was dished out at centre ice, in 1972, courtesy Team Canada's, Phil Esposito, who let us know how deeply hurt the players were, being booed by their own fans; when truth be known, the Russians were playing incredibly well, were all highly skilled and trained athletes, and were simply better in team play, in those early games of the epic series. I felt bad for yelling at the Canadian lads, and gosh, I was sitting in front of the television. As God is my witness, I thought they had heard me yapping, about being disappointed in their effort, which of course would later turn into one of the greatest come-backs in international competition.
     First of all, if fans knew intimately, by their own experience, how players got ready for games, and their rituals needed to build courage, they'd appreciate how seriously each player commits to getting it right, on the field, the grid-iron, the course, or the ice rink. They are impacted by imposed pressure. It's one thing to make the team owner happy with your performance, but another thing to satisfy the interests of millions of fans, many who have never laced up a pair of skates, donned a football helmet, or swung away, at a ninety mile per hour pitch, that could rip the nose off your face. When fans, such as in the case of the Toronto Raptors, in last seasons playoffs, and the present Blue Jays in the preliminary rounds of the World Series, layer on their demands, unwilling to settle for second place, what can we really expect of human shoulders, to support the extra weight of huge expectation; the incredible burden of having to please fans who only want victory, and nothing less. It complicates the whole competitive enterprise.      Disappointed fans dismissing players on losing teams as being traitors and villains, denying them their share in the big prize. As a long time sports fan, who did learn from Mr. Esposito's lecture, I am disgusted with the way fans these days, dump all their hopes and aspirations, on the backs of players who are, afterall, mere mortals. They have their good days and bad games, and sometimes at inopportune times, like the World Series for one. These athletes can't help but feel the weight of these unrelenting fans on their human psyches. It's not all that new, to high-stakes sports, but it is expanding, and methinks becoming much more detrimental to mental health. How would you handle being jammed into the old pressure cooker and commanded to perform brilliantly? I'm pretty sure there are professional athletes who have been the recipients of death threats, all because of a fan's obsession with victory. As if the team is playing to achieve a fan's aspirations.
     Whenever I played net, in hockey, I had rituals before going on the ice, and when I was standing in the goal crease awaiting the resumption of play. I had to tap each goalpost three times, in a crease-wide sweep from side to side, before I would crouch for the face off, no matter where it was on the rink. I had to hit my pads once after performing the goalpost hits. In baseball, I had to hit the rear cleats of my shoes twice on each foot; once to dislodge the sand built-up between the metal spikes, and secondly, because I was nuts. I believed I would strike out if I didn't perform the same every time at bat. Even when I executed it all perfectly, according to Hoyle, a strike-out meant, I hadn't done it properly. I would have to follow my protocol closer the next time to the plate. In golf, I had all kinds of good luck charms hanging off the bag, and tucked in the pockets including winning tees, blessed golf balls, and enchanted towels that when used, put some magic into the subject clubs I intended to use. Nonsense, you bet! But despite the advancements of the modern age, superstitions seem more prevalent now, than fifty years ago. What's going on out there. And it's not just in sports.
     If a players employs such routine rituals, carries a talisman, wears a cross, good luck charm, or a picture of loved ones somewhere on their person, while in competition, isn't it logical then, to view this as signifying some unspecified vulnerability, beyond the inherent fear of getting traded, or outrightly fired for lackluster performance. If you need a good luck charm, or a ritual in order to feel spiritually covered, at home plate, on in the goal crease, chances are, you are also susceptible to the weight of the world fastened to your shoulders by fan expectation. Think about the Blue Jays right now. Down two games in a best of five playoff, with the next two games in Texas, and millions of Toronto fans putting their hopes and aspirations on top of what is already a dire comeback situation. Most of those same fans wanting to supervise every play up close and personal, and believing, with great conviction, they could have made the play, or out-run the toss to first, or have stolen the base to put themselves in scoring position. They have no use for losers. I can't blame players for employing rituals to satisfy themselves, they've lifted a curse, or deferred bad karma; but I can blame over-zealous fans, for demanding too much from mere mortals, despite what they may be good at in their sport of choice. If you were to put this zealot fan, the mouthiest one of the lot, in the same on-field position, how long before they suffered a nervous collapse?
     Just because a player gets a big pay cheque, doesn't mean they can't have bad days, and poor focus, just like everyone else is entitled and thusly forgiven. Their bodies are susceptible to injury, and their constitutions, contrary to popular belief, are not made of iron. I have watched the Toronto media, in particular, build this "We will win," stuff, to what I can only suggest is a stupid level of anticipation, and expectation, based on mindset of commentators and fans, who probably believe they can employ the same rituals and talisman, to get a win instead of a loss. In the process of promotion, of what should amount to "a good game," (giving fans a great show) regardless of the final score, they are in many ways, cursing their chances by imposing way, way to much pressure on mere mortals. I may have been disappointed when the Leafs would lose a Saturday evening grudge match against Montreal, but our family agreed, that if it was a good, fast, highly competitive game, we had been therefore, splendidly entertained by the teams of the National Hockey League. I didn't sit in front of the television, cursing individual players, and threatening their families because they missed on a scoring opportunity. I'm pretty sure there are lots of horror stories out there, players and their families being threatened due to what fans thought was a poor performance in a losing effort. Win or lose we are supposed to be thrilled by the opportunity to watch these games and events. If all that mattered in competition was winning, and nothing else would suffice, why have opponents in the first place. Just field one team and have them go through the motions, playing by themselves, guaranteeing fans, each game has a victorious outcome for the home club.
     In my innocent, naive way of looking at the Blue Jays, and their performance thus far in the playoffs, gads, they just finished one of the longest games in club history, and it was a nail biter; which when you think about it, gave fans a huge bang for the buck. So they didn't win. They entertained us, and we should be thankful they even made the playoffs; seeing as the way they started didn't inspire fans to presume a World Series championship was in the cards for 2015. It's a bonus for fans that they got this far, and honestly, if they lose the next game, and are eliminated, they deserve hearty thanks for making it a hell of a season. And thanks for the memories.
     I feel sorry for my favorite hockey team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, who are once again, being called losers, and incompetents before they've hit the ten game mark of a brand new season. Everybody is a critic. But not everybody can win the opportunity to wear the Leaf sweater, and as a stressful reward, face the throng of rabid fanship, and get it right on the ice, to their mutual satisfaction; which if it doesn't go their way, they can get pretty nasty even on a winning note. Expectations are way too high, for the new Leaf Coach, who I happen to like, and he's going to have a rough time, getting past the tidal wave of negativity, much of it inflamed by the media, common in Toronto, which undermines, as tradition, anything positive that transpires. When the club does start winning, all of a sudden, it is imposed upon the players, that they must win the Stanley Cup or else. It's team history for gosh sakes. I've been a fan since the early 1960's, so I've seen this merciless pressure, pound down on coaches and players without mercy. Just because Leaf games sell-out doesn't mean the Toronto fans are understanding, patient and faithful. They just want to go to see a professional hockey game, have a beer, a hotdog, and the right to complain about players they believe put on a crappy performance. If they actually witnessed a great hockey game, the only thing they'd be concerned about, is that the Leafs came out on the losing end. As a fan, I'm a lot more forgiving than this, and find myself fulfilled when, at the end of the game, I feel as if the sport of the day, like a big turkey dinner, has satisfied my hunger. Of course, it would be nice if my favorite team won, but it's not the sole reason to invest my time in front of the television.
     I am very thankful, as a baseball fan, that the Toronto Blue Jays, dear fellows that they are, made it this far in what will be looked upon by sports historians, as an amazing turn-around by an inspired team that played like champions for most of the season. If they don't bring the World Series trophy back to Toronto, so what? They've given us an exciting season of baseball, and that's why they get those big pay cheques. I don't want a refund. They've earned their pay.

No comments: