Monday, October 5, 2015

I Would Like To Write About Downtown Bracebridge But Need A Nice, Warm Office With a View



OUTSIDE CONSULTANTS, BRANDING, AND A COUNCIL DISCONNECT - BRACEBRIDGE BEING MANIPULATED BY THE FEW, TO IMPACT ON THE MANY

BRACEBRIDGE DOESN'T SUFFER FROM AN IDENTITY CRISIS - OR A LACK OF MARKETABLE CHARACTER

     I remember waking up one hot but sunny summer morning, after spending the night sleeping on the front, second story balcony, of the former McGibbon house; and hearing a lot of voices and clanging noises, of what I could only imagine was the metal piping, used to build temporary shelters. I knew it was the day for the annual Business and Professional Women's annual sale, in the park, but for gosh sakes, it wasn't long after sunrise. It was probably later than this, but it was definitely too early, for a man who had enjoyed too much wine with friends, the evening before. I had a blanket draped over the railing, to disguise my outdoor bedroom, but I pulled it open just a crack at the bottom, at this moment, to reveal what was happening below, and over in Memorial Park, so early on this bright new day. Well, it was a town on the move. The organizers and vendors of the popular sale, were busy setting up their tents, and the women were getting the bandshell ready, for their barbecue, and loading-in food provisions for the day. The coffee by this time, was already brewing. I could smell it from across the road. It was, in the freeze-frame of photography, like a folk art painting, in full life and color; naive at first glance, storied, and a study in rural traditions, as the day progressed. Especially when viewed as a panorama, the old houses of the neighborhood, creating a picturesque, historic backdrop. I pulled myself up into a chair, and sat for about an hour, watching it all unfold. I even took some news photos for The Herald-Gazette, from that elevated perspective, and it was just fascinating to watch how well the sale came together, and looked, and acted like a party, on an otherwise hot summer morning; in the middle of what was usually a quiet park for strolling and bench sitting. I watched a lot of contemporary Bracebridge history, unfold in this manner. I liked to immerse myself in the festivities. How better to understand it all, than to be imbedded in the party unfolding.
     Call it what it is! A first in Bracebridge history! A solution to some of the identity issues, burdening the community right now, crafted right here in South Muskoka. Here's a low budget offer to the citizens of Bracebridge. It's an offer I extend to Town Council, the Chamber of Commerce, and the local BIA. I offer it particularly to the downtown business community, that seems to be having some problems these days, keeping the storefronts rented. Give me a cubby-hole, with a window offering a nice, and pleasant view, (the old federal building with the magnificent clock tower, works for me) in one of Bracebridge's wonderful old downtown, main street buildings, from which to work, and I will write oodles of promotional, editorial copy, about the provenance of character, my former hometown possesses; that most these days, have either forgotten, or cared not to expose, let alone exploit.
    Whether the town becomes a Christmas themed community, (as some desire and are pushing for) from its present "Learning is Us" status, as deemed a necessary branding by town council, two years ago, I have no desire to petition the municipality, the business community, or the residents themselves, in any bid to turf one "branding" theme for another. I didn't agree with the branding proposal to begin with, and when opinions were asked for, by the consultants, my only response was that heritage is the saving grace. And without shame, and regard for the shunning of the past, I pitched the idea of capitalizing on what history gave us as preamble provenance; being the rightful heirs to the literary biography, of internationally recognized author, Washington Irving. The town was named after Irving's book, "Bracebridge Hall," which if you know, even a few of the author's accomplishments, you will then appreciate, that it should be considered an historically significant honor to share such a literary name.
     I didn't get a call back on this one, but then I knew I wouldn't; so I wasn't disappointed. The full recognition of this provenance of name and author, has been downplayed routinely by folks at town hall, and significant others, for reasons unknown. I have my suspicions. So I feel no obligation then, having at least tried to honor protocols, and respect channels of government, to let them know when I'm about to tear off, on my very next Washington Irving editorial jag, (of which there have been dozens since 1999); which I exploited again this year to the fullest, in blogs (which you can archive back to read) about Bracebridge and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," at Hallowe'en. And then at Bracebridge Hall, at Christmas, which is right out of the pages of Irving's two "Bracebridge" connected books: first, of course, "The Sketch Book," circa 1819, and then "Bracebridge Hall," circa 1822. Point is, when the "learning" choice for community branding, was imposed upon the community, that largely couldn't have cared less, I felt that once again, council was looking everywhere else to find an identity, and a marketable one, apparently having given up on what they had been sowing and growing, in their own garden, since the late 1850's. Don't you just hate when you hear or read about consultants having to study who we are, and what we're all about, and what we should become? I have always found it offensive, but there are those citizens, who believe we need someone from out of the area, to define us for our own good.
     I have never felt it incumbent to follow blindly, those who lead based on assumed power, that really doesn't exist except in their own minds. I will voluntarily fall in behind those who I believe can show the way, based on knowledge, experience and the character dynamic, to boldly admit, when need arises, they don't know it all! I find very few politicians these days, who will admit that the direction they have taken is the wrong one, and instead, opt for silence when the going gets rough. Then, to solve a problem they've had a hand in creating, opt for yet another consultant, to repair and restore what wasn't broken in the first place.
     I began writing about my home town, in earnest, when I arrived back in Bracebridge, after my university years in Toronto, circa the autumn of 1977. Our family moved into the beautiful old brick house, that had once been owned by Dr. Peter McGibbon, a former Member of Parliament for our region, situated on upper Manitoba Street, opposite the elegantly treed triangle of Memorial Park. The house was torn down quite a few years ago now, but I had the privilege of some wonderful years of residency, including my early period as the new editor of The Herald-Gazette. It was the first meeting place of the fledgling Bracebridge Historical Society. It was the house that afforded me an inspirational vantage point, to view a goodly portion of the main street, north and south, especially Memorial Park, which I studied over the four seasons, from the attic window, where I had positioned my writing desk. With exceptions of months here and there, ever since, I have been writing about my former home town with great enthusiasm. The fact that I no longer live in town, and in fact, live ten miles south, in Gravenhurst, hasn't changed my opinion, that Bracebridge history is a fascinating pursuit I won't abandon.
     In all the years I've been writing about, and promoting the Town of Bracebridge, in publications ranging from the former Herald-Gazette, the Muskoka Advance, The Muskoka Sun, Muskoka Today, The Bracebridge Examiner, The Muskokan, plus others, including a former advertising magazine, known as "The Bracebridge Downtowner," it has seemed more of a pleasure than work; and those forays have given me a pretty fair archives, of previously published work from which to work, when writing more contemporary editorials. I pause every time I read about issues with "branding" and unfulfilled promises, and especially when the town is referred to as "having been great, so what happened?" I can understand why some people think this way, and continue to make such unfounded, historically weak statements, believing that they have the most insightful overview, and solutions, regarding what's wrong with the old home town. What should be armchair critiques only, somehow make it into print via the local press, without any meaningful counterpoint from, well, those who know the history of the town, and realize how ridiculous the off-hand statements are, in the grand scheme. Some historians are bashful at all the wrong times, and I don't count myself part of this number. My reputation is the exact opposite, and I've never once avoided a dust-up, because someone might kick dirt at my pants. I do consider myself a defender of local history, and I've never believed that the historian's only resource, was to write a book, when public demonstration is the best way to kick back in the opposite direction.
     I have written about Bracebridge for long enough now, to have gotten used to the critics, who feel I am too outspoken and politically irreverent for my own good. If I had worried about such adversity, I would have quit writing local material a long time ago, so you might say, I've kind of blown right through it, and continue to pursue what I believe is most relevant; for example, looking at the town's history in the contemporary sense. Bringing history, with a little zing, back to public attention, so that it doesn't wind-up being forever lodged on a book shelf, awaiting the curious amongst us to get frisky some lonely night. It's too important to our identity, to be shelved and archived. It's why I continue to re-visit the town I knew, and all that I have learned about it since, and harp on that trusted, but tired old saying, about what is "old being new again." I don't see town history the way my contemporaries do, and that has always been our dividing line. I am about "living" history, and the restoration of heritage to suit the modernists, who have never been sold on the idea that history can be anything more than a textbook, school desk and a teacher's drone, about the milestones of once. History is a our culture; our art, and something to be heralded, whenever we talk, or write about identity and character. We don't need consultants to inform us, what kind of community we are, or should be, or town councillors to intrude where they have no place. They are stewards of our community resources, and are not elected to mess with a social / cultural legacy. It's fine to exploit what we have to exploit. There is no need for facade building, when Bracebridge has such a significant historical record, that has been, for all intents and purposes, largely undeveloped, and under-utilized as a resource. The reason? We look to town hall for solutions and directions in these matters, and they look elsewhere for rescue; or at least they find a comfortable consensus, that will only rock the boat for a short while.
     I have studied Bracebridge from many different portals, and I've never been disappointed in what I've observed. Whether from the attic room or balcony of the former McGibbon house; or the retail space we used to rent in the former home of W.W, Kinsey, further north on Manitoba Street; the restored office of Henry Bird, at Woodchester Villa and Museum, (when I was site manager), the house once owned the Marrin family, on Quebec Street, at our old home, near the bottom of Tanbark Hill (below the former Bracebridge High School), and even in early pennings, from our tiny third floor residence up on Alice Street, known then as the Weber Apartments. And then there was the ten years jag, I spent working in the former Herald-Gazette building, on Dominion Street, which was after-all, where I did the most day to day writing. In some ways, I have been observing Bracebridge since childhood, and its what I write about most these days; the town that has evolved since the winter of 1966, into an urban landscape I couldn't have predicted. Some change I agree, has been for the betterment of town, some of it not-so-much.
     My offer to write promotional material for, and about the Town of Bracebridge, is nothing new for me. What is new, in fact, is my interest in re-connecting with the downtown core, that was so important to me as a youngster, and a place that continues to inspire a lot of wonderful memories. So I thought if I offered something exclusive, such as the willingness to set up shop, in the downtown preferably, to write about the town past and present, it would possibly inspire some stake-holders, to take a chance on such a home-inspired opportunity, to exploit what has been available to the town all along. No need for a consultant or yet another expensive study, to figure out what the town's all about. I would write from the clock tower, or anywhere history shines through, because it's the fabric I need to work with, in order to make this quilt historically responsive, but only in the most contemporary sense. The actuality of the present is history, one fraction of a second from now. What you just read is history. It's the failing you see, that history ceases to become contemporary and exciting, when it's not taken out to play. It doesn't have to be this way.
     Bracebridge doesn't need to be branded, in order to be marketable or unique. It needs to be fully recognized as a vibrant, charming, adaptable small town, that has survived the naysayers and political intrusions for the entire period of its settlement, here in South Muskoka. Why didn't we need to be branded in the 1920's, 1940's, the 50's or 60's? In my view, it's because the town leadership was secure with what had been accomplished in the past, and that there was enough fortitude to soldier-on, and continue to develop on a reliable, trusted assurance "the best was yet to come." A way of looking at the future, based on the distance it had already travelled. An unwritten, unspoken plan, that had kept the town prospering through the feast and famine of the decades. Having survived the economic chagrin of the Great Depression, and many recessionary periods, the rigors and demands on resources of two World Wars, and the world conflicts, up to and including the present; I'm satisfied, as an historian, that Bracebridge can rest comfortably on its past accomplishments. They're pretty impressive, and deserve to be played and replayed for the modern audience, largely unaware what has been confined to the archives, and modest paragraphs in local history texts. We all need to be reminded from time to time, where we came from, and how we got from here to there. In Bracebridge, reviving history isn't the magic potion, to turn the economic tide, but it's a start.
     The town has weathered economic storms many times in its history, without requiring anything other than resilience and confidence, that the old and familiar path, has never once been the wrong direction, in which to travel. Despite those modernists, who insist on prescribing what's in our best interest, without feeling it incumbent first, to fully appreciate what history has already created on our behalf, I will always trust the road I've travelled in the past, to get me home again. We're not lost, despite the claims of those, with vested interest, who feel we are.
     So if you know of a tiny, inspiring portal, and wish to share it with an historian, for the gain of some useable, for-free editorials, you know where to find me. If not, I will carry-on as I have been, for long and long, and maybe sit occasionally in Memorial Park, a parked car, or work from any one of the benches, that affords me a different vantage point, to look back and forward, upon the place I still consider my home town.

No comments: