Friday, October 15, 2010

MONEY PAID TO MAYOR AND COUNCILLORS NOT ENOUGH

As outrageous as the above statement reads, it’s absolutely correct and I challenge anyone to a debate who thinks differently. Not one like the all-candidates’ soupy “meet and greet”, which was too bland and social to be a pre-election aid for undecided voters.
I want to share a brief account of a mid-air conversation I had, with my friend, soon to be employer and Children’s Foundation head, Roger Crozier.....former all star goaltender with the Detroit Red Wings, the Buffalo Sabres and the Washington Capitals. When I began my association with Roger, mid 1990's, he was the head of facilities management, including development, construction and operation, for MBNA in Delaware, and throughout the United States. When a reporter, at a press conference, asked Roger if he’d like to be known, from his life’s accomplishments, as either a NHL goalie or a banker, Roger responded without hesitation. “That’s easy....a banker!” As a footnote, while Roger was indeed an exceptional goaltender, he battled nerves and nausea before games, and in his early years suffered from painful bouts of pancreatitis. He looked forward to the final buzzer more than the sound of the puck hitting the ice at the opening face-off. Admittedly, the reporter was a little confused, how a celebrated all star netminder from the original six, could put “banker” ahead of celebrity. Well, as one of the biographers who worked closely with Roger before his death, it was obvious, his association with MBNA was a union with even greater rewards, and more widespread satisfaction at what he was able to accomplish in a management capacity. He worked hard, more hours than he was required, to catch up and surpass the knowledge and experience he needed to excel, and help lead the company’s expansion requirements. Roger was a role model when I was a kid, and by golly, he was a role model as a banker.
Roger’s bank flew me to Delaware, with his mother Mildred, and lawyer-friend Jack Huckle, to attend an award ceremony for Roger, to be held at Longwood Gardens, in Pennsylvania, later that night. First I got a tour of the MBNA facilities, which staggered this Gravenhurst lad, and I was introduced to the aspects of the huge site developed and managed by the Bracebridge born former goalie. What I had known about Roger, to that point, was hockey, and only hockey, and that’s just what I’d been writing about in the local press. This was a different world and an enlightenment for a newshound, with gaping-open mouth for two days. The award ceremony, by I believe the Boy Scouts of America, was formal and lavish in every way, filled with corporate leaders, and the literal who’s who of business and local politics. Instead of having Eddy “The Entertainer” Shack slapping Roger on the back, after a Sabres game, and being mobbed by sports reporters looking for a headline to go with account of the win or loss, Roger was being pursued by business writers and the corporate elite, respectful of his building accomplishments.
After an amazing adventure, I had a chance to sit with Roger on the corporate jet cruise back to Canada. While he was disembarking in Cleveland that day, I had a wonderful opportunity to talk about the transition from athlete to contractor for, at the time, one of United States fasting rising banks. We talked quite a bit about the Muskoka communities, and as he was intending on pushing ahead with a new Crozier Foundation For Children, of which I was to be a part for the next 12 years, he wanted to know specifically about the support he might get on certain projects, from local mayors and councils.
It was kind of an unexpected question but one an enquiring mind, under the circumstance, would find a natural progression during such a conversation. “How much does a mayor earn in Muskoka, Ted?” he asked. He caught me off guard and seeing as I wasn’t on the front lines of the local press at that time, I answered that the amount would probably be well under $30,000 a year plus expenses. “You’re kidding,” he snapped back. “Then how do you attract the best people to run for mayor?” “What about councillors....how much do they earn?” I thought that number would be just under $20,000 (mid-1990's), plus expenses and mileage,” I answered the best I could. He just starred at me in disbelief. In his world you see, money attracted talent and that was a sound business investment...... to surround yourself with the best of the best. And while Roger appreciated the small town fiscal realities....., (he did grow up in 1950's, early 60's Bracebridge when the population was less that 3,000 souls), he argued that with such a small return for a term of office, this was severely limiting the people, (the talent pool) who could dedicate themselves to running the town. It was being left largely to those who owned their own businesses and retirees. I couldn’t really disagree, and although it had crossed my mind, as a reporter covering councils throughout the 1980's, it just seemed so much more obvious and restrictive when he mentioned it during the flight. His point clearly was that more money entices more experienced individuals to seek the council positions. No different than the municipalities trying to attract experienced staff to fill our their departments, and having to compete with larger communities, with bigger budgets, and of course, free enterprise, also looking to employ the all stars. Sometimes restraint, like making a policy to only accept the lowest submitted tenders, is as they say, penny wise and pound foolish.
As I risk ratepayer ridicule for suggesting we pay too little for our elected representatives, here in regional Ontario, it is obvious something is wrong with our approach. There are good and talented people sitting on the sideline because running for election isn’t worth it! Not everything comes down to doing it out of pride and passion. I will take experience and accomplishment ten times out of ten against passion and not much else. It’s not to suggest our candidates are unworthy of a chance...... because, of course, that’s democracy in action. It is to suggest that we are not attracting folks as we should, and at least part of it is low remuneration....the other is the four year term, which many can not dedicate themselves to, without seriously compromising their lives and enterprise.
Based on the demands we place on councillors and the mayor, they are not paid enough. I’m a frugal citizen and I hate paying taxes but I want the best representation available. This is the kind of investment in our future we need to be thinking about, before the next election in four years.
I will be true to my word and not endorse candidates via this blog. I was particularly impressed by one candidate who approached me after the meeting, with a sincere interest in how I felt about the meeting, and if it had accomplished anything to satisfy the “critic blogger.” I had to admit I was disappointed in the non-debate of the event, and while chatting, I noticed a whack of notes in the candidate’s hand that had been prepared in the event a real question and answer component broke out. Obviously disappointed there wasn’t more time to discuss, present, or debate much of anything, this eager and hardworking candidate had every reason to feel short changed. I was so pleased the council hopeful had taken the time to chat with me after the event. I wish I could have introduced this particular candidate to my friend Roger, who I think would have sensed the kind of business acumen and personal conviction, that truly does makes a team player move up through the ranks. Maybe he would have been a source of inspiration as well, proving the statement, “the price of success is always hard work.” We need more of that. A lot more.
Best of luck for the election. I mean it!

No comments: