Monday, October 25, 2010

COUNCIL OKAY FOR FOUR ACTION PACKED YEARS

For those wise old bards and sage political watchers, debating the candidate qualities, in coffee shops all over town, admittedly, and nervously, there was a very real potential of achieving a dysfunctional council for the next four year marathon. There were personalities burdened by caustic opinions and agendas that may have done more harm than good over a long, financially burdened term of office. I’ve measured this out for most of the last two months and found that there were council configurations that would wage “personality warfare”, with the kind of vortex spinning away, that would suck up a lot of useful business time. This evening’s election results have offered us, the voters, a solid representation without too much compromise. It’s a council that I feel comfortable with, and there was a very real possibility, I was going to head to bed, this evening, for a husky bout of night sweats...... if votes had swung differently.
I’m truly sorry some very good candidates didn’t win but there will be other elections. I lost two myself, back in Bracebridge, so I know it will take a while to deal with the loss.
To one winning candidate, who I talked to frequently during the election campaign, I’m so very pleased your hard work has paid off, and look forward to your leadership on council, and can sense a mayoral run sometime in the future. Don’t be a stranger.
You all played a part in the functioning of democracy, win or lose, and we do appreciate the fact that you took so much of your personal time, to exercise your right to run for office. To John, I insist you take another shot at municipal politics. You do have what it takes. We need critical thinkers.....those who don’t stop educating, and challenging themselves.....and your turn will come. And I’m sure Mike will be ready, willing and able to work the corners for you.
This will be a conservative but interesting council with a few exceptions. I like the business acumen of some, and past municipal council / board of education experience, that should combine to make a good working council......on initial glance of course.....having just now heard the results.
The critics, like old chatty crows, sitting huddled in the gnarled (philosophical) tree above the council table, will study it all in the coming months, and make their critical assessments known.
You can count on it!
Best of luck.

1 comment:

John Graham said...

Thanks for the encouragement Ted. I will try to get involved where and when I can in our town. I love this place and want it to be a town where families can stay and have a future.

I have enjoyed all your discussions, insight and knowledge on this blog and look forward to reading the next 4 years.