Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Glossy Magazines, The In Vogue Muskoka Lifestyle and The Real Muskoka Lifestyle As Lived By Us


THOSE MAGNIFICENTLY APPOINTED, GLOSSY MAGAZINES, THAT HIGHLIGHT THE FINELY APPOINTED MUSKOKA LIFESTYLES, OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS, ARE NOT FOR A COMMONER LIKE ME! BUT DAMN-IT, THEY SHOULD BE!

MY APPRECIATION FOR MUSKOKA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT THE VESTED INTEREST FINDS WORTHY OF FEATURE INK AND PHOTO GLOSS

     I will gladly donate my services, as a long serving writer / historian, in Muskoka, (having enjoyed fair accomplishment as a published author), to compose feature articles, for any glitzy regional publication needing a little article diversity, which supports the idea, that like hot water freezing faster than cold, a negative story can turn positive with a less than a smidgeon of well thought out, well applied printer's ink with competent application! A compelling, well researched, well written story, can overcome negative first opinions, by ending optimistically, that indeed the world can be a better place, if only! Proving that it isn't obligatory to provide elitist bent copy, because it's mistakenly thought, (and frequently so) adverse story lines furrow the brows, and upset the stomachs of the rich and famous. The public's right to know, fits, as it always should, even in these targeted, narrow focused publications, regardless what publishers mistakenly believe is in the best interests of readers. I think their intended audience can handle the truth, don't you?  
     Of course, it's pretty clear, and redundant to keep reminding readers, that I have some very sharp biases, and crusty old Muskokan opinions, honed over the past forty years, working day-in, day-out, as they say, in the capacity of regional historian, and reporter for the local press, about the kind of Muskoka lifestyle profiles, making headlines these days. If you've been reading these blogs for the past year, I don't have to explain this any further. I am a Muskoka based historian who has spent many years trying to understand all the complicated details, past and present, about what continues to make this region tick; or not! I understand the nature of the seasonal economy, better than most, and how it has influenced the permanent residents, literally from the beginning of the homestead period to the present state of affairs. A period, that by the way, also ran parallel to the development of the tourist economy, and the creation of the initial cottager neighborhoods, dotted along our sparkling waterways even before the first major roads were carved through the hinterland. And this does, very much reveal, why the stark divide between the rich and poor, living only a short distance apart, is still a major obstacle to overcome. It's just not likely it ever will be reduced, as social activists might explore, in their dream of dreams. It has been a history of sharp, deep, social / economic contrasts. And what, in many ways, is still widening, but in some ways, at a more troubling rate. This isn't a commentary to suggest, the rich have to be kinder to those of lesser means; but if anything makes the divide more distinct, it's what many of us perceive as the arrogant representation of the cottagers, and lakeside dwellers generally, as being the identity of choice, for those promoting, for business interests, (profit) what it means to be genuinely "character-Muskokan". Would a glossy magazine, targeting the cottage community, as its marketing strategy, run stories on local food banks, and their constant and growing need for funding? It isn't the cottagers I take issue with. It's those who target them specifically, as the Muskokans most worthy of media coverage. There are many in the cottage community, known for their benevolence, at home and in the region they dwell seasonally, so my chagrin isn't directed at them.  
     Someone brought in a new Muskoka lifestyle magazine to the shop yesterday, I suppose to encourage us to be part of the big gloss package, to promote just how great it is, to reside in such a magnificent hinterland region; with thousands of miles of lake and river shoreline. Which by the way, many permanent residents couldn't possibly afford, unless they won a lottery. I don't know whether they wanted us to advertise in the next edition, or what, but suffice to say, it won't happen, largely for personal reasons shared by our family. I am courteous when someone hands me one of these all gloss, and lesser substance publications, and I always bestow professional courtesy to the names I see on the masthead, who are presumably paid to supply material for said publication. I may wince a few times, looking through the publication, out of curiosity, and wonder to myself, with the bias I have earned by experience, if any one else would feel the broadening divide between the lifestyles of the local rich and famous, and the rest of us, who don't have expensive boats, three slip boathouses, and cottages that no longer look like cottagers in the traditional context, of Muskoka shore-dwelling. It is not a compelling mission of mine, believe it or not, to criticize these writers or publishers for joining the assortment of similarly glossy magazines, and message aimed at the cottage owners, and shoreline condo dwellers, and I suppose, even at those who lounge comfortably in the many revered hotel and resort acommodations, situated around the region. I'm happy for them. I'm pleased for our cottage community and all the visitors to our region, who enjoy this lakeland, very much bolstering the economy at its greatest time of need, for our mutual benefit. With their support of our businesses, they help many of us earn better wages, and allow us the privilege of running our businesses more profitably, which very much benefits the entire region, during the peak summer months. And, with tourism now stretching further into what was traditionally known as the shoulder seasons, the benefits can't be denied, or in any way minimized. Tourism, with the cottage community embedded, is our number one industry, and few locals have any misconceptions about this reality. They are integral components of our local economy, and without ongoing cottager and tourist investment here, the way it is at present, many more of us, members of the permanent population, would be forced to abandon our communities, to find employment elsewhere. I don't think there is any Muskokan out there, employed even in part, due to the tourism component of the local economy, who is so ill informed, about the need to take care of this industry, that they would seriously disagree with my overview, or suggest, they (tourists and cottagers) should all buzz off! "Go home!" I have heard this stated (usually blurted) in those long and frustrating grocery store line-ups, but nothing that has any real sincerity attached. Heat of the moment kind of statements that carry no weight, but for some, just reduce frustration.
     I couldn't write for any of these publications, (they wouldn't want me anyway) because it would conflict with my longstanding belief, that the liberties being taken, promoting this version of Muskoka lifestyle, at its most extravagant, is overshadowing the pressing everyday realities and casualties being suffered in our district. Niche marketing I understand, but the promotion of Muskoka, as if it is The Hamptons, of the United States, certainly needs clarity imposed from the other side; from those of us who believe that Muskoka living encompasses the whole nine yards; not just what appeals to those of considerable wealth, and privilege, who insist on what we consider extravagances, to make their Muskoka experiences so much more satisfying. We have a simpler, more modest approach, and we can satisfy ourselves with a roof over our heads, basic sustenance, and enjoying what we can of a truly inspirational place in which to dwell.
     I represent the other side of Muskoka living; the one that has to deal with the feast or famine realities, of surviving full time in a seasonal economy, yet paying high taxes, for minimal services, in an area known for its high unemployment, and higher social assistance registry, that very much requires its community food banks and charity supper clubs. And has a growing caseload, each year, of those in financial distress, and who are often made to feel like outcasts in their home communities, because they can't afford anything more than basic living, without a single frill according to the restraints of budget. These are Muskoka constituents, as well, but they don't have their own magazine, to represent their roles in making the region a better, more acommodating place to live. They are the grinders out there, who never concede to adversity, and refuse to allow money to be the end-all, of them trying to get more out of life, for themselves, and God bless them, for us as well. Not the kind of stories most of these publications would find suitable for their audience. And that's too bad, because these stories in essence, are inspirational, and show the true dynamic of the place they choose to get-away-to each year, as restorative vacations.
     I am a low key social activist. I don't help out at local food banks, although we have help fundraise for them over many years, and the person with the soup ladle, at supper club events, won't be me. I don't want to be a hypocrite in this regard, by fostering the opinion, I'm the most socially conscious individual in the community. I know who these people are, and damn-it, they deserve the recognition for making Muskoka a little more comfortable, and caring, than it might become, in their absence.
     I don't care about publications, or for that matter anything else, that caters to the upper echelon of our communities, here in Muskoka, as long as I'm not handed one, and expected to offer an opinion to please the individual who directed it to my attention. I don't like the way the Muskoka lifestyle is being promoted these days, in all types of media exposure, so the producers of such self serving propaganda, need not visit to solicit support. Won't happen.
     When I was assistant editor of a local summertime publication, for a number of years in the 1980's, you could spot my work without glancing at the bold print of the article's byline. My feature material was about as commonplace as it could be, without purposeful intent to execute thusly. I wrote about local history, and all matters of regional heritage, with no focus on the cottage community, as being more important than the pioneer homesteads, or profiles of early commerce, such as what generated from the hugely dangerous logging industry. There were enough writers contributing stories about resorts, old wooden boats, the lakeside golf clubs, yachting events, lake regattas, and the businesses that catered to the cottage lifestyle. I would do anything to trade-off stories I was assigned, that would have required me to promote something I didn't believe in, or feel deserving of press, frankly speaking. The managing editor and publisher let me do my own thing, and I appreciated this freedom. I wrote stories every reader of the publication could benefit from, without ever playing to one side of the local economy or other. It was my trademark characteristic as a writer, back in the late 1970's and 80's, and when I worked freelance after this, up to the present, my approach never changed; and my passions, just as vigorous as they were when I first declined opportunities to explore the cottage and resort lifestyle, for advertisement supported feature stories. The ones where I was supposed to gush with adjectives, to explain how delightful it was to have the best of the best in cottage living, at the same time as I was having problems paying rent and eating regularly. No, you're right. I wouldn't have been objective. I couldn't be today, either.
     I have always found lots of interesting things to write about, of everyday living and commonplace accomplishments of fellow constituents, over the decades I've invested on home turf, as a community historian, without feeling it necessary to embed myself in a situation and circumstance of luxury living I don't belong. I don't beg any considerations in that regard, other than to be left alone, to do my thing, and represent what I know, and love, about the very endearing commonplaces of being a Muskokan, whose only relevant bragging right, is that I live in God's country twelve months a year; and benefit from associations with good folk who work hard, and long to build their communities, without feeling it necessary to launch a magazine, to promote just how good it is to be local.
     I don't begrudge anyone of means, and privilege, their right to live according to what their wealth allows. I just don't want to read about it, because other than celebrating this wonderful place on earth, I have nothing else in common! It doesn't portray what I am most interested in, about the Muskoka lifestyle I experience, living here twelve months of the rolling year, that is infinitely more urgent and necessary of attention and reconciliation for improvement, than anything else that might be considered local agenda. It warrants the attention of writers, as well, to work for the common good, where insights are most needed and appreciated, and most sincerely benefitted from, as social / economic conscience, when all else fails to impact.
     I come from a school of thought, as misguided as you might believe that school is, honed story by story, through many years of local media experience, that reminds me, the dynamic cottage community, the target market of glossy lifestyle magazines, of which I have referred, would also be interested to know everything about our community life and times, worts and all; because without doubt, it is just as intimate to them, as it is to us. Publishers and possibly advertisers feel this side of Muskoka isn't marketable. Or the kind of editorial material that would attract major advertising commitments. Nonsense. It's faulty logic to assume this, because I believe the opposite holds true. I could prove it if they'd give me some space to make a point. Give me a couple of those same magazine pages, and publish a full color, full page photograph, to companion a story I will write, for free, on the need for food banks, and why they won't disappear, from the heart of Muskoka, any time soon. Even with my biased perspective, and  foot in the door of social activism, I think cottagers would like to know what's going on, in the interior of the region in which they have heavily invested; and just possibly, they'd like to offer some assistance in this regard. Just because a story appears adverse, or negative on the approach, doesn't mean this is the way the final paragraph will tidy up perception, and generate optimism, that we can fight the good fight together, despite what seems at time, a literal canyon between those who have, and those without. As long as we share this great region, a gift to us all, there is common ground, common social ground, to help one another.
     I don't own a newspaper or magazine. I don't want to. Of course, I also don't have the money, or the internal fortitude, at sixty years of age, to tackle the demands of the print media, which I know inside out from past experience. I have no right moral or otherwise to impose upon publishers, how they should run their media enterprises, or how best to represent the market they intend to target for their readership; or as is my specialty, truth be known, reflect more astutely, the entire region they represent with their circulation target. I do however, have the option, to reject these elitist publications as a reader. This means, the advertisers lose out, because you never know where I might wish to spend my money, what little of it is left over after the bills are paid. If these magazines worry about that kind of standoffish behavior on readers' part, well, then they can choose to improve their products, based on consumer demand.
     I live the Muskoka lifestyle, every day, twelve months each year, with my own sense and appreciation of how lucky I am, as we have contently resided as a family, for quite some time now. Suzanne's family being the citizen-commonplace of this district since the 1860's. We are abundantly aware of the rest of us, rather ordinary pay cheque to pay cheque Muskokans, who live pretty good lives, and prosper in our own ways, and truth is, we don't need a magazine to tell us how fortunate we are, to be living in this beautiful region of Canada. A magazine won't make our experience and prosperity any better than it is! It just won't. End
of story. Thankfully, right?

No comments: