Monday, July 13, 2015

A Music Community In Gravenhurst? We Are Flattered To Be Thought Of In This Way


SO WHAT'S SO FLATTERING ABOUT BEING CALLED A "MUSIC COMMUNITY" - JUST BEING FOUR WALLS, A ROOF, ART, AND A LOT OF INSTRUMENTS?

A CULTURAL SHARING PLACE? WE LIKE WHEN PEOPLE SEE THIS SIDE OF WHAT WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH SINCE THE BEGINNING

     In Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show's, famous song, about the joy of one day, being on the cover of the elusive "Rolling Stone," there's a reference to "my old gray haired daddy, driving my limousine." I told my sons this morning, that I'd be good with that, providing that my uniform and cap were spiffy. I said this, because changes happening to their vintage music business, especially on the recording side, have been very positive this past year, and the next six months are probably going to double in bookings and groups trying to get in for a recording session. In fact, their music component of our business, could one day, take over the entire building, putting us, as they say, out to pasture. Robert says I can stay on as his personal driver and tour guide of the studio facility. He's got a wry sense of humour, taking after his grandfather Norm Stripp.
     It's nearing the middle of one of two most important months of the year, here in the heart of what they love to call vacation-land. It's been a profitable start to the summer season, and so far, we've been able to feel that the business year has finally hit its stride. I'm not sure how everyone else is doing on the main street, but we definitely feel grateful for the bounty we have received.
     Then why am I so pensive about the success of my musicians sons? Is it possible I'm fearing the future, because, for gosh sakes, what good it bears in the vein of progress? I kind of think so. I'm an antiquarian and I suppose, in my years embedded in the past, as a profession, I've lost sight of the necessity to embrace future potentials. Being satisfied, or adhered to the borders of status quo, isn't in the interests of upward mobility. I guess I look at my own mobility, and it's sagging a tad. As for my lads, it sure seems like they're on the verge of what should be exciting change, for the better; and here I am, worried that their progress is going to be our loss. If it's a case a loss is involved, I know mom and pop won't consider it in this light. Both boys have suffered for their craft, and when they could have been out partying with their mates, they were working to build their business, and record the music they were creating with many other talented musicians, who have been our partners since the shop was opened.

     I didn't really pass the torch. My musician sons just picked it up, when I feel asleep, on a brief hiatus, while writing in their music studio, where I am a welcome annoyance to be tolerated; out of respect for the elders of the family. It used to be that their pop used to be the one in the family making headlines, and writing them for that matter, and the stories that filled the white space between the advertisements in regional newspapers. I was never a media celebrity, and certainly not of the status of "VIP," but because my name was out there, in the public domain, on dozens of articles every week, and sometimes as the author of controversial news items, I used to get a lot of calls and letters, split between "we hate you," and, well, "you're not so bad." I've been in the public eye since I joined the regional media in the late 1970's, and even today, I feel my media presence hasn't shrunk too much, like my shirt has, apparently, as it doesn't seem to cover over my stomach the way it did a month ago. Point is, most of the attention these days, is going our sons, because of their facilitating role in Canadian music, and it's put me in my place, that's for sure. When someone comes into the shop these days, and asked to speak with "Mr. Currie," I'm "riding the pine" these days, like I did in my minor hockey years, as a back-up goaltender to Tim Morrison. I don't really mind, because I was always a reluctant media figure, because, believe it or not, I'm a shy guy who doesn't shine in spotlight; unless today, it's as the father of two lads, who play music pretty well.
     I can't be a business partner, father and good friend of my sons, and a believer in what they have built here in Gravenhurst over the past dozen years, without being a little embarrassed about what is undeniably nepotism at its most glaring. I shouldn't be writing about them so much, because it looks like I'm placing them above other talented musicians. I don't believe this to be true, but they sure as hell have a commitment to improve themselves, and accept mentoring from the pros when it's offered. And it is, and boy oh boy is that ever exciting stuff. I watch them work at their craft seven days a week, and even their vacations are music-based.
   At the same time, I'm also nervously watching, as both boys become engaged in a professional expansion of services, that might soon take them away from what is so comfortably appointed today, as a family business. They are working with quite a few bands these days, in a variety of capacities, and they have both been offered situations that would take them off on grand adventures, bringing great excitement and escalation to their careers. But I start worrying they might leave this old fart sitting in his little green armchair, lodged in the corner of the studio, where I might come to wallow in self-pity for awhile; before realizing that they didn't have any choice but to move on, and seize opportunity by the scruff of the neck. I've had my heyday, although Suzanne still figures we're both owed a few more before we retire for good. I am enjoying the lead-up right now, to a lot of exciting possibilities, that have been revealing themselves slowly, almost every week, such that at any time, the roof might blow off this old building, with the kind of music energy surging through the rooms and halls. It's been an odyssey I never expected, but I can't look away, even for a moment, because I don't want to miss anything. That's how fast a little business, built initially on music lessons, is taking off into the bid leagues, and the momentum is coming from our friends and associates, who are promoting us on their own, within the larger music community.
     I want the boys to stay here, with mom and pop, for as long as possible, but their success in the music biz, is starting to remind us, it is coming time to let go, and encourage them to expand with the kind of full vigor, they started the shop in the first place; having two tiny rooms upstairs, in what were the projector rooms and washroom of the former theatre. Now they have occupied the whole building, with our participation of course.
     A while back, the Town of Gravenhurst, had the bright idea, (or a grant application suddenly appeared out of civic heaven), to create, what they referred to as "cultural mapping." I suppose it's still in the works but even before the results are published, as far as we're concerned, it won't influence us one way or another. First of all, son Robert was invited to participate in the early states of establishing a framework, but due to a personnel shift, the project was put on hiatus, and he suspected he'd get a call back when it resumed work. It was indicated at the time, by a councillor, he would be called back when the committee was re-activated after the necessary administrative hiatus. Well, he didn't get the call-back, which was okay, because his work in studio recording has almost overtaken everything else we do here, including selling antiques and vintage guitars. Like I've said before, my seat here is in the front row, and every day brings about something else exciting in music development in all its stages. Suzanne says that I'm too old to get enthralled too often, and that it might explode my old heart, having all these inside moments in Canada's indy music scene. And not just the indy musicians. It's like having a permanent back stage pass. I'm loving it!
     It's too bad for the town, that Andrew and Robert weren't included in whatever this cultural mapping thing is all about, because I think they could have made some insightful contributions, and made it all more reflective and indicative, in the realm of what is contemporary, and what is old news, of current developments in music outreach, happening in the heart of town; and yes, including their highly successful "Church Shows," at the historic St. James Anglican Church in centre town. It's true, I have a father's faith, and business partner loyalty to our lads, no fooling; but I am also a sensible bloke, who know intimately well, that Gravenhurst is going to be the beneficiary of music enhancements, and cultural excitement, they won't find in their cultural mapping, because they thought the lads weren't qualified to participate. But I'm willing to bet the family farm, they will be there to catch the accolades for what develops in the future, because two proud hometown lads, with a lot of hometown spirit, stayed where they were brought up after graduating high school; because they were sure they could make it work. They should be role models for youth who have the mistaken belief, Gravenhurst doesn't have what it takes to grow a business or industry. This is what the town should be investing in, and nurturing in our youth, to give them hope they can achieve their goals, and attain prosperity, right at home.
     We're Muskokans above all else, and we live and work here twelve months a year, and there's no other place we'd like to be! Of course, sometimes, even the most faithful amongst us, have to travel beyond, to fulfill potential and experience the world.    
     Andrew and Robert talk about music constantly. It rubs off if you happen to sit through enough music-talks between accomplished musicians, which I have been enjoying for the past three years, being more closely associated with the boys' vintage music business. I've gone from someone who loved music but knew nothing about it, to a tuned-in, and turned-on voyeur, watching all this music stuff happening around me. Like watch a tornado from the inside. I haven't tuned-out, because I don't want to miss the next big act that shows up here, to talk music projects, or just sit here on the couch, sharing butter tarts made by our neighbor businesses. Which are outstanding by the way. I should know. I get a lot of freebies through the week. Gads, the ever-expanding waistline. I work on this laptop, in their music studio throughout the day, here in our sort-of anything-does music shop, and we get fringe benefits all the time, when our friends come to visit, after first hitting the bakery, and then the coffee shop. I've had to beg them to stop bring me coffee because I'm drowning here, it's in such supply, due to their kindnesses. Musicians sure are generous folks. It's not only Andrew and Robert's business, but it's their social / cultural / recreational existence, it seems, and they've surrounded themselves with a community of kindred spirits. The highest compliment they received, in nearly twelves years of slugging it out, in a highly competitive profession, trying to build a successful music business, was when a member of a well known contemporary band, remarked that they had both created a dynamic "music community," where knowledge and experience, and performing arts, are nurtured and shared.
     It's not good enough, that either of the business partners, of a duo known on the current provincial entertainment scene, as "The Currie Brothers," be invited to participate in this town's cultural mapping, whatever that means in essence, but by golly, what a swell bit of recognition, to be credited with establishing a "music community," within the shop walls they've been decorating with music memorabilia for the past dozen years. It's what they want to be know for, and consider a comment like this, as a validation of at least partial success, in making Gravenhurst a destination for musicians, who wish to gather to trade stories, jam a little, share a little more, and develop projects that one day, might generate into the next big thing. But all that really matters, for the moment, in any day, in any week, or month or year, is that musicians and sundry other characters who love music, will land here and find, always, kindred spirits to chat with, and feel kind comforts of spinning intimate stories, about being on the road, and playing for full houses, or not so full venues; hearing applauses, and occasional ovations, and at other times, hearing the snow pellets hitting the window panes of near empty bars where the most prevalent sound is from the static on the television hung over the bar, and the sound of beer glasses clinking, and chairs sliding over the grit of the floor. The musician's life is a storied affair for sure, and we hear all about these days and events of their lives.
     Suzanne and I haven't had too much time off, since the lads were born, but this was our choice. I loved the years I was a Mr. Mom, for Andrew and Robert, and all the hours we played with Hot Wheels and Lego together, sprawled on the floor, until mom came home for dinner. We have been a close family through thick and thin, and honestly, although we are pensive about their future successes, how in the world can we stand in the way, of what, of the days to come, will surely provide opportunities we could have only dreamed about, twelve years ago, when the paint on the front sign was still wet.
     In the meantime, Suzanne and I are watching closely, and enjoying every minute of our family business, as it is today, and in the coming weeks. But, we are at the same time, preparing for the inevitability, they will get too big for their britches. And then what?
 

No comments: