Monday, November 14, 2011

GETTING READY FOR THE SHOW - MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE


There's no denying it. When it comes around to the annual Christmas Show, at the Gravenhurst Opera House, mom and pop get as excited about it as Robert and Andrew….the show sponsors. We've done these variety show fundraisers for years now, dating all the way back to their early high school days. The idea for their own shows, grew from their mutual enjoyment of the annual spring Pure Gold variety shows, while at Gravenhurst High School. Suzanne was director of the two evening show, over several years, and the boys always looked forward to the opportunity to join classmates on stage. Suzanne's directorship, for those years, admittedly borrowed a page, or several, from the work of a revered former band leader, at another school she worked. She adopted the same high standards, as her teacher colleague, and made each show's line-up strictly organized, finely orchestrated, well-rounded, diversified, and a crowd pleaser. If she had made a speech, at the end of her run, at the final curtain call, I know she would have listed a fellow by the name of John Rutherford, as one of her sources of inspiration. Like John, she was proud of her performers. They deserved the credit.

I used to tell the wee lads, over and over again, about my own early days on-stage. They didn't really believe me, but they were nice enough to listen anyway. Even today, I think they only half-believe that their father was ever an on-tour musician. The part they do believe, is that a kind man, by the name of John Rutherford, gave their dad a break in the music business, and they suppose quietly and to themselves, "it must have changed good old dad for the better."

It was in my last year at Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes Secondary School, and five years in the music program, under the skilled (legendary, is better stated), directorship of John Rutherford. I was a baritone player and not a very good one. But John never gave up on me. It was the year he'd been waiting for……1974, the England trip with the BMLSS Tour Band, and the time Currie had to make the cut. Thinking I wasn't going to improve enough to make it in time, John started me out on the parade circuit. He needed to know how I would handle the rigors of walking and playing. The pressure of memory work, and an audience within an arm's reach of the baritone and my band scarf. I wasn't all that good sitting and playing. I was scared out of my wits, and he knew it. He never showed his doubt in me. I was a member of the band, and I had to live up to the quality of play repeated time and again by my contemporaries. And they were pretty good reminding me if I screwed up. John had instilled a level of excellence, and they were proud to have achieved his approval. They weren't going to allow me to ruin their accomplishments. I conformed.

But I only made one parade, and that was in Bala. I froze my lips to the mouthpiece. For the whole distance of the parade. I chickened out of the Bracebridge Parade, because I pretty much knew I wasn't up to snuff. I had an excuse in Bala. I had to have water poured on my lips to release the mouthpiece. But it was a lot warmer in Bracebridge, and I was going to have to play the right notes. I was a disaster at memory work. John knew I ditched the event, and I'm pretty sure he knew it was a fear thing. He set about changing that, so that I could muster the courage and competence to make the tour band, heading to England that March. Not many people in this life time have moved me so fast, and hard, and with such good intention. We both worked hard. It paid off. I made the band, and John felt that he'd made a decent five year investment.

So the first thing that happens in England? My baritone comes sliding down the baggage chute, onto the revolving base, and shoots right over the edge, the baritone tumbling over the Hethrow Airport marble like a Muskoka curling stone on bonspiel ice. John and I were standing at the luggage pick-up watching it twist off down the corridor. I only looked at him once, and noticed his hand over his eyes. I raced after the baritone, checked it for damage, loaded in back in the case, and was delighted that John was resolved……saying something like, "Currie, let's get the bad stuff out of the way now."

We had a great tour. I only screwed up several more times, but John forgave me. What a gentleman. We both survived, and the band trip was amazing. The "Send Some Music To England" tour made a lot of memories for us kids, and the music leadership he showed, impressed upon us for a lifetime. I'm sure my many bandmates would agree.

This is a sample of the stories Andrew and Robert have had to listen to for all these years. But it was the stories about the many concerts, particularly at Christmas, that I played in, under the directorship of Mr. Rutherford, that did set today's standard for their shows. I'm always reminding them, even now, about what Mr. Rutherford would have done, under similar circumstances. He insisted on perfection and no one would deny it was attainable, certainly in his presence. When the boys get their concerts together, they are as detail efficient, and determined to make all the components work effectively…..or they simply don't do it.

When I sit back and watch the show get underway, full of Christmas cheer and goodwill, I always wonder to myself, if John would be pleased we've maintained the work ethic he taught band members, over so many years……and to be demanding of yourself, always, to put together memorable, high quality shows. I think some of old dad's father-son chats had an impact. I'm so glad to know they were paying attention at least some of the time. I only wish they could have benefitted from the opportunity to work with John, as I did, for well…..those five years of a most enjoyable high school music class.


No comments: