Wednesday, November 30, 2011

CHRISTMAS IN GRAVENHURST -


AN ODE TO CYRIL'S SAILBOAT - SAD TO SEE IT GONE - I HAD SUCH GRAND PLANS


NOTE; I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED TO WRITE A BLOG BEFORE - I JUST WRITE THEM - THIS TIME, I WAS ASKED TO WRITE A SPECIAL ONE, BY MY SON ANDREW, FOR HIS FRIEND CYRIL, WHO HE FEELS HAS BEEN WRONGED - JUST FOR TRYING TO SELL HIS SAILBOAT. I AGREED. SO HERE IT IS. IF YOU HAVE SOME WORTHY BACKGROUND MUSIC……SOMETHING NOSTALGIC, AS IF BEING PERFORMED BY THE FORMER GROUP "TANGLEFOOT" ON THE BARGE……WITH A FIDDLE, MANDOLIN, WITH A CELTIC DRUM TO GET THE JUICES FLOWING…..GO AHEAD AND JOIN ME! HERE'S SOME MODERN DAY FOLKLORE FOR GRAVENHURST.


(In response to a letter to the editor, in The Gravenhurst Banner, Nov. 30, 2011 regarding the property standard bylaw - to force property owners to clean up their homesteads)


CYRIL FRY ONCE HAD A SAILBOAT. A WONDERFULLY TIDY LITTLE VINTAGE VESSEL, HE MOST RELUCTANTLY WISHED TO SELL. I DROVE BY CYRIL'S HOME, WITH PEAKED CURIOSITY, ABOUT THE WEE BOAT, PERCHED SO DELICATELY, ON A SPLENDID LITTLE TRAILER, LIKE AN ALL-DRESSED WEINER ON A BUN.

AS A CHEERFUL HOMETOWN LANDMARK, EACH DAY ON MY TRAVELS NORTH AND SOUTH, I PONDERED TO MYSELF WHERE I'D FIND THE FUNDS, TO TAKE THIS VESSEL HOME.

IT WAS A RECREATIONAL MONUMENT, YOU SEE, TO TIMES WELL SPENT; OUT THERE ON THE OPEN WATER, PUSHED LIKE A MAPLE LEAF OVER A BEAUTIFUL MUSKOKA LAKE. THE STORIES IT COULD TELL, I THOUGHT…….OF THE FOUR CORNERS OF ADVENTURE IT HAD TRAVELLED.

So here then was this storied sailing craft, at the corner of his lot, on the well travelled Beach Road, for all to see, and ponder……"might it take me to the sea and yonder?" It began beyond my price range, and I thought of begging Cyril for a deal. Then my charming bride would say, "Ted, you've got two canoes." I said, "But dear, my father was an old salt, and I think I'm one too…..if this sailboat was mine, what adventures we could find." "Dear husband," she cornered from her mouth, "marriage is all the adventure I need for now…..you're already quite a handful as the land-lubber you were born!"

Without her permission, I found a special place for it at home, where I could sail it without the water…..just sitting there, the wind in my hair, the water's spray, to spryly wax poetic. Read Joseph Conrad's "Typhoon." I'd learn the code of the sea in books, and I'd use the boat as my classroom. It would all be good fun, if the neighbor's wouldn't complain, "Jesus, you won't believe, Mr. Currie's got a boat! And he's sailing it down the lawn."

Alas I let a bargain go, even when a price reduction arrived, with the falling leaves that sad year, and every time I thought it right, to make an offer, what the heck, that bride of mine, kept me mired by schedule….."we're already late; we don't have the time." So as the trips went by and by, and I saw that covered old boat, at that grassy corner, time upon time, I began to look upon it as a source of inspiration…..a generator of the daydreams us writers adore;….. and for most of two splendid years, I sailed that boat from shore to shore, sparkling in the mist, of a windswept Muskoka lake……and Cyril never knew it was gone!

When I saw it was missing, on that barren but beautifully manicured lawn, I thought my wee heart was breaking. How would I sail now?

Alas I'd missed the bargain of my life, and so many adventures in philosophy. I told my wife I was too sad to eat, and pondered writing a poem, to reconcile the story, of the boat that sailed without me! The story of my life.

I know I waited way too long, to let Cyril know of my heart's content, but suffice to say, we had some great moments none the less. I must thank Cyril for putting that old sailboat on his lawn for me…….to daydream of being a sailorman, once upon a time. I sailed but never drowned.

I understand the property cops planned to order it off that corner block, something about it being less than pretty, a nuisance and distraction. I must suggest it is pretty sad, that anyone, adult or child, might have thought, this unpretentious vessel, anything but nostalgic…….as I, the dreamer, pronounced upon its modest deck and rigging, my passage to Neverland……wasn't quite complete.

Thank you Cyril, for placing that old boat in such respectful prominence, that it could inspire wannabe sailors like me, who on-the-cheap, sailed it without your permission.

And if, by gosh, I'd made a deal, and brought that vessel home, the yard officiators would have caught me red handed……and made me sink my ship.

That darling wiener on a bun, I never came to own.

ABSURD? FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK!!!!

IT'S SO GOOD TO KNOW OUR TOWN COUNCIL IS TACKLING PROPERTY STANDARDS - ONE PRETTY SAILBOAT AT A TIME! GOOD LUCK ON THAT!




STILL SHORT A FEW CORPORATE SPONSORS IF YOU CAN SPARE A DIME - CONCERT GOES ON SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10TH, AT OPERA HOUSE



We're just over a week away from the fundraising gig at the Opera House, in support of the Salvation Army Food Bank's Christmas fundraising campaign, and the nerves are getting rattled. Hey, it's typical when putting on a show as substantial as ours, each year at this time. It's not that we're producing major international bands or anything, but the individual performers, and the rehearsals to get them polished by show-time, is always a tad nerve wracking. Some of the young students get the jitters and that can be a problem.

When we began putting on the Christmas season fundraisers, we wanted to ease those jitters as much as possible, because it threatened our show. You could have a domino effect actually, one nervous performer convincing others to abandon ship before the first act. What began as an experiment, has become the norm for our shows, in that we mix the adult performers, and veteran groups with the youngsters, so that the senior players can help calm the backstage atmosphere. In some cases, over the years, the students have been asked to join the senior bands, and boy has this worked out well.

So I've been asked to do the promo materials tonight, as Andrew and Robert had to stay at the shop to fine-tune some acts. They love it, but admit the lead-up is thoroughly exhausting. While we never, as a philosophy, command perfection on stage…..as we believe in having fun first, it's important to instill some discipline, to put on a good show for the folks who come out to see the show. Once the house lights dim at the Opera House, and Fred Schulz takes to the microphone as master of ceremonies, everyone puts on their game attitude, and the show goes on. Smoothly or not, the aim is to entertain.

And of course, help raise money for the Salvation Army Food Bank. The students volunteer for this project, as it is not a requirement of our music program. They think it's a pretty nice idea, to help others in our community, who are having some difficulties. We're proud of our students. We're delighted by the number of veteran musicians of this town who think the same, and are always willing to join us, to put on this traditional Christmas-time show.

This year we will again be joined on stage, by musician-friends, Ray Parsons, Jon O'Connor, Ginger Graham, Mike Mortimer, Gill McNaughton, Rob Almond, Dave Ashworth, Van Newell and The Bodenville Flyers, and our studio associates, the Just 4 Kicks Dancers……always a great part of our Christmas show.

We are slowly picking up some corporate / business sponsorships, to help cover the rental cost of the Opera House. If you have an interest in joining the list of sponsors, you can let Andrew or Robert know. Even a small donation is a big help. Fred Schulz was the first sponsor to jump aboard, and we have one other anonymous donation of $100 we were delighted to receive. Other evening sponsors will again be Birch Hollow Antiques, Robert Currie's Music, and Andrew Currie's Music and Collectables, all of Gravenhurst.

You can make a donation at the door, of money, non perishable food items, or both. If you can't afford to help this year……then please help us, by accepting our invitation to come anyway……because it's at Christmas that we should all be together to celebrate as a hometown.

No comments: