Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Last Proverbial Kick at the Can

TROUBLE-AHEAD? DEPENDS WHO YOU TALK TO - OR WHAT OPINION YOU READ
- WE WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR GRAVENHURST

If you want to test a locale’s sensitivity to its ever-evolving reputation, there’s no better time than to information gather, when stuff is hitting the proverbial fan. You know what it’s like in good times. What about when knee-deep in bad times. I’ve studied Gravenhurst closely, even as a regional historian, when I was living elsewhere. It has a fascinating history and when we moved to town in the late 1980's, we immersed ourselves in all that made Gravenhurst tick. We wanted to know as much about our new hometown as possible. It wasn’t to gain any particular advantage but we most certainly wanted to let the local citizenry know.....we weren’t taking their accomplishments lightly....or with any indifference whatsoever. While I am a transplant from Burlington, in 1966 to Bracebridge, my wife and sons, as I have noted previously, are Muskokans, born and raised. I’m proud to say that and they are proud to live it! Still, when we moved here, we felt it necessary to make this a social / cultural immersion, not just a matter of economics. We do have three businesses between us. If we wanted to be part of this community, we still had work to do, and understandably so. It was well worth the effort.
I am not interested in politics. I’ve noted this before as well. The problem for me, is that my background as an editor with the local press, has often over-ridden my own sensible proportion. Covering three of six municipalities for the local press, Muskoka Lakes, Bracebridge, and Gravenhurst, I vowed once liberated, to stay as far away from local politics as humanly possible. What sucked me back into the municipal vortex, was when Gravenhurst Council decided to screw around with The Bog here in the Calydor Subdisision, thinking of the wetland as a decent money maker for big town projects in the works. I went from pacifist to activist in the span of about three minutes, the time it took to scan a front page article in the local press. Like other council handiwork I had seen in the past, from the three towns I was familiar, I had no choice but to react accordingly to the importance of the issue. When I tell you about chaining oneself to a tree, to stop desecration to a lowland, it was only one tenth of what was about to transpire. It wasn’t a threat. I have never resorted to threats to move forward on matters important to me, my family and my hometown.
When we arrived in Gravenhurst, and I was put to work as an assistant editor of The Banner (circa 1989-90), one of my early opinion pieces was about the infighting of the local BIA, and how the negativity was profoundly imprinting on the town’s character.....as perceived by residents of the town and everybody else who cared to pick-up a copy of the local news. This is 2011 folks, and I’m thinking there’s no real end in sight. Has it had a long-term negative impact? Most would offer a resounding “yes!” It‘s rooted in history. It has become normal practice. Such that if the perpetual disagreements and bickering weren’t in evidence, any longer, we’d say “what the hell’s wrong with everybody.” Getting along without blow-ups would then be the new normal. It would take some getting used to. Then it would be up to the historians and pundits to argue whether dissension makes for better productivity than congenial relations.
In this latest foray into negative connotation, with expenses at the newly refurbished recreation centre, a majority of this town’s population hopes for a speedy resolution. They wish like me, it had never become an issue because this was to be a happy period of our town’s history.....seeing a new pool and a larger recreation facility. While even the harshest critic sounds off about over-spending and high taxes, like the ever-blathering “me,” most of us watchers in the woods planned to be there, on opening day, none the less. It is afterall, our home inspired accomplishment, as a community, province and a national investment. There has been an excitement building, and although we don’t like to show our cards in advance, we felt positive about this kind of urban change for the future. When the news broke, most recently, that an investigation was to be called, a lot of citizens got a shock of reality right in the kisser. On the heals of other unfortunate incidents, such as a mainstreet fire, it was a knee-jerk reaction for many, who wanted heads to roll even before any inquiry could commence. Hard to fault over-reaction when reading about allegations of wrong-doing in your hometown, on the front page of one of Canada’s largest newspapers. Our pride got poked in the eye.
Earlier this year I had offered my services, as a volunteer, to assist the mayor’s outreach into the community. I noted that my blog would be suspended, during my time in this capacity, and that I would swear any oath of confidentiality required. I volunteer for a lot of projects, and I really wanted to contribute to a new administration, and a new citizen-friendly council attitude. I had stressed my interest in creating a better understanding of local heritage, as I believe we have some members of present council who are not up to snuff on historic details, as they should be......in order to represent the full integrity of this town which wasn’t founded in 2010. Well, I didn’t fit the requirement, or quality of advisor, the mayor’s office wanted at the time. I was a little bummed out that I didn’t get an interview but hey........you get pretty used to rejection in my line of work. Point is, I’m assuming there were other, better suited, candidates to choose from. But I was happy to give it a go none the less, because I want to help my hometown. That won’t change. Of course, being opinionated to the exponent of ten, can intimidate folks. I understand my bluster has teeth. I will always make time for my hometown. Those who know are family commitments, and volunteer work, realize this isn’t a hollow offering.
I have offered some advice via these most recent blogs, about the importance of council being transparent with citizens of this community; profoundly so, considering the rampant roll of hearsay and outrageous speculation lately. There has been some sharing of information by the mayor, and that’s a start. There needs to be much more to satisfy the raging curiosity.
It’s not my place to adjudicate on this troubling situation, making unfounded accusations and contributing to dangerous speculation. If there is anything I have tried to advance, from the first front page expose, over a week ago, it has been to encourage council to meet the public face-on, or with newspaper interviews and releases, to keep speculation quelled. I have heard some incredible rhetoric and embellishments in the past week, many that I have taken upon myself to debunk.......while council itself seems more interested in house cleaning and new directions, than pulling their boots from the quagmire they currently find themselves stuck. If they’re stuck, so are we. Just because there is an investigation going on, doesn’t negate council from providing information...... than can be safely shared, with a very worried constituency......this is also a “due diligence” of the job they were elected to perform, to the best of their ability. If this is the best of their ability.....well, they’ve got a rough four years to traverse with a severely pissed off electorate.
I have many projects backed-up and overwhelming me today, and I won’t be squaring off with council regularly this spring and summer. Hopefully I’ve made my point. Transparency is a tool of pro-active representation. We asked for it! Council hopefuls promised us it would be a long-term characteristic of the new administration. In my own humble opinion today, I would not use the word “transparency” to describe the actions and reactions of the present Gravenhurst Council. It will come back to haunt council many times in the coming months and year, because the citizens weren’t kidding when they demanded transparency during the election campaign of 2010. It shouldn’t be of any great surprise, that resignations are demanded, if the public continues to feel poorly informed and bypassed, during this time when we’re all feeling a little threatened here by really bad news.
I hope it all goes away. But them I’ve always been a dreamer!

No comments: