Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Part 3 How a Mentor Changed History


Both photos by Jamie Oppenheimer


Photo by Jamie Oppenheimer taken after the January concert for James Carroll


HOW A MENTOR CAME TO CHANGE OUR COURSE OF HISTORY -

     For the past three weeks Suzanne and I have been watching, for a second time this year, the late 1990's CBC series, "Wind At My Back," starring James Carroll, as teacher Max Sutton, who you have been reading about over the past two chapters of this business biography. The five seasons of this heritage-themed (Depression era) series was given to us by James Carroll's close friends, Jamie Oppenheimer, and Shauna Leigh Taylor, of Huntsville, who helped the actor / broadcaster greatly with transportation and personal assistance, throughout the period of his illness, and remained at his bedside until the end of his life. James Carroll referred to the Jamie and Shauna as his "angels," and in our opinion, they kept him inspired and upbeat despite the prognosis which was dire from the beginning. There were many others at Hunter's Bay Radio, in Huntsville, including manager Jeff Carter, who did whatever they could to help James Carroll maintain his popular afternoon radio show, and get around town as he was without a vehicle.
     In a very short association with James Carroll, last winter season, our family not only found a mentor possessing a spark of inspiration we had never experienced before, on such an intimate level, and an enlightenment about the entertainment side of our business, our sons Andrew and Robert, of the group Bet Smith and the Currie Brothers, had not experienced to that point. James Carroll gave them an emotional boost at a critical time, when they admittedly were wondering what the future held as far as potential for success. We are all so thankful that we accepted Jeff Carter's invitation to come up to the studio, on December 23 last year, for a surprise performance on James' show. It meant we had to close down the shop just before Christmas to do the late morning show, but that didn't matter whatsoever, because we all profited in the best way possible, having a personal meeting with this fine chap, who extended so much to the musicians of Muskoka during his tenure at the station.
     One afternoon earlier this year, I had a chance to meet Keifer Sutherland, who was playing a concert here in Gravenhurst. He dropped into our studio for a visit, and I surprised him with a question about his mother. He was taken aback for a minute, but thanked me for asking about his mother, Shirley Douglas, who played the most prominent character in the series, "Wind At My Back," "May Bailey," who had a great many scenes with James Carroll's character Max Sutton. Suzanne and I both bestowed considerable praise on his mother, because she was the central figure in the show, and played the part brilliantly. He said he would mention that to her when he saw her next. Geez, now he's the television President of the United States, in the show "Designated Survivor." We mentioned how heart-broken we were about news of James Carrolls's death in April, and how well the two figures interacted on the show. The one we are going to watch again this evening.
     I have re-run the short editorial piece I wrote shortly after hearing about James' death. We could only thank God we had spent some time with him, which has been a source of inspiration ever since.

   



JAMES CARROLL A TIRELESS SUPPORTER OF THE PERFORMING ARTS IN ONTARIO AND IN OUR MUSKOKA

WELL KNOWN AND RESPECTED ACTOR HAS PASSED AWAY IN HUNTSVILLE -

     Today, and for many days and weeks to follow, there will be hundreds of poignant, beautifully written, and heartfelt tributes to actor James Carroll, of Huntsville, who passed away today after a courageous battle with lung cancer.
     I only met James Carroll once, this past winter, after a benefit in his honor held at the Algonquin Theatre, and then it was only because of my family connection to a local band he knew, from his popular music-themed broadcasts, as a regular host on Hunter's Bay Radio Station.
     James generously supported many local musicians on his afternoon shows, and among that number was the South Muskoka trio of Bet Smith and the Currie Brothers. The Currie brothers of course, are my sons Andrew and Robert, and Bet Smith is a talented folk musician, song writer, who joined with the lads more than a year ago to make some interesting new music. James was highly supportive of their work, offering many on-air tributes, and even hosted the band, before Christmas, in the Hunters Bay studio, for a live performance. It meant a lot to the fledgling group (now having four members thanks to the arrival of fiddle player, Sarah Girdwood) to have an in-person opportunity to meet with James, and play the most popular songs from their latest CD, "Loose Ends." All the way home Andrew and Robert repeated over and over, what I had told them on the way up to the studio from Gravenhurst. "We're never going to forget this dad; it was an incredible experience."
     James Carroll has supported hundreds of musicians during his tenure with Hunter's Bay radio, and he projected a fatherly, warm, soft, nurturing but, make no mistake, powerful force, into local performing arts generally. Particularly improv, which of course, was dear to his heart.
     There are friends and colleagues of actor / broadcaster, James Carroll, who will write better and more insightful memorial tributes, than I could muster, because they shared more than just a few moments of casual conversation. Like the brief one I had with James, in the foyer of a local theatre complex. He was exhausted after a long day meeting friends and supporters, and I was nursing a wounded knee. There are many others who can write his biography with the accuracy and character, such an accomplished life deserves, so I shall not muddy the water further, by adding my periphery overview; of what I think his highlights on stage, in film, and as a radio broadcaster were, when at best, I would be largely and unforgivably guessing. It's true, I wish I had known him sooner in life, and much sooner professionally. I think the writer and broadcaster would have collaborated on something or other eventually, and that would have been great.
     When Andrew came to tell me that he had just received a call that James had passed away, I was, as a matter of some irony, reading a book from my old library collection, of which I am its steward, with an interesting piece entitled simply "Music." It was written many years ago by George Gissing, and struck me as a fitting memorial tribute to a kindred spirit - who also had a genuine fondness for the pleasantness of song - possessing such inspired focus on the longstanding virtues and importance to humanity, of arts and culture. I have used Mr. Gissing's fine piece, printed below, and I can only hope, the essence of our short relationship via music, and his support of those who created it, will please those who knew James Carroll, and who felt his spirit of tireless goodwill; which often meant his hand on your shoulder, a gentle slap on the back, or a tender stroke of your cheek or chin, with a pause, to show his innermost affection, at its most sincere degree of professional, yet human intimacy. It is what the pleasing aura of music, and the arts, can do to heal the wounded spirit, and make new the joy of togetherness. It was this theme above all else, that James Carroll boldly heralded, as being important to us all, if we would only stop, listen, and surrender to its sweet energy's caress.
     In the word of Mr. Gissing, "Of late, I have been wishing for music. An odd chance gratified my desire. I had to go into Exeter yesterday. I got there about sunset, transacted my business, and turned to walk home again through the warm twilight. In Southernhay, as I was passing a house of which the ground-floor windows stood open, there sound the notes of a piano - chords touched by a skillful hand. I checked my step, hoping, and in a minute or two the musician began to play the nocturne of Chopin, which I love best - I don't know how to name it. My heart leapt. There I stood in the thickening dusk, the glorious sounds floating about me; and I trembled with very ecstasy of enjoyment. When silence came, I waited in the hope of another piece, but nothing followed, and so I went my way.
     "It is well for me that I cannot hear music when I will; assuredly I should not have such intense pleasure as comes to me now and then buy haphazard. As I walked on, forgetting all about the distance, and reaching home before I knew I was halfway there. I felt gratitude there, I felt gratitude to my unknown benefactor - a state of mind I have often experienced in the days long gone by. It happened at times - not in my barest days, but in those of decent poverty - that some one in the house where I lodged played the piano - and how it rejoiced me when this came to pass! I say 'played the piano,' - a phrase that covers much. For my own part, I was very tolerant; anything that could by the largest interpretation be called music, I welcomed and was thankful for; even 'five finger exercises,' I found, at moments, better than nothing. For it was when I was labouring at my desk that the notes of the instrument were grateful and helpful to me. Some men, I believe, would have been driven frantic under the circumstances; to me, anything like a musical sound always came as a godsend; it tuned my thoughts; it made the words flow. Even the street organs put me in a happy mood; I owe many a page to them - written when I should else have been sunk in bilious gloom.
     "More than once, too, when I was walking London streets by night, penniless and miserable, music from an open window has stayed my step, even as yesterday. Very well can I remember such a moment in Eaton Square, one night when I was going back to Chelsea, tired, hungry, racked by frustrated passions. I had tramped miles and miles, in the hope of wearying myself so that I could sleep and forget. Then came the piano notes - I saw that there was festival in the house, and for an hour or so I revelled as none of the bidden guests could possibly be doing. And when I reached my poor lodgings, I was no longer envious nor mad with desires, but as I fell asleep I thanked the unknown mortal who had played for me, and given me peace."
     It has been a delight to know you, James Carroll, or as we knew you best in our family, "Max Sutton," teacher and mayor of New Bedford, Ontario, on the well respected Canadian television series, "Wind At My Back." We are all better for having known you, if, regretfully, for only a short while.
     We offer sincere condolences to members of the Sutton family and all his close friends who stayed at his side during his final days.

No comments: