Friday, November 18, 2016

Part 7 In Support of the Muskoka SPCA


Watching through the studio door.
PART SEVEN


A Collection of Stories Written in Support of the Muskoka Animal Shelter

A Fascinating Family Relationship With Adopted Pets, And Hoping They Felt The Same

     Numerous times over the past two weeks, Suzanne has held our newly adopted dog, Pooh Bear, on her knee after dinner, and asked it simply but directly, "How do you like it here so far, Bear?" I'm not sure what she expects Pooh Bear to do, in order to acknowledge the question or provide an answer, that would assure her our newest housemate is contented with us, and the homestead we provide. She's left to interpret the wagging tail, big, glittering brown eyes, the crooked half-grin, and the tongue that darts in and out, to lick her hand resting on its paws. It certainly seems Pooh Bear has settled in very nicely, and the way she licks her dinner bowl out suggests, at least somewhat, food services is doing its job at Birch Hollow. Considering that Pooh Bear also laid claim to Suzanne's night-time chair in the livingroom, and she surrendered it without a fuss, suggests equally, we have managed a sort of stable early-going, such that no one feels the need to growl at the other, or act territorial. Even Muffin the other dog in residence, belonging to son Robert, has put up very little fuss, except at the fairness of food provisions between them, as provided by the keeper of the kibble. So it sure does seem that the answer to the question, of how well Pooh Bear has adapted to our family's company, seems to fall on the side of acceptable, and well, favorable. I don't think we can speak for Pooh Bear's innermost thoughts on the subject, but visually, snoring away, cuddled onto my wife's lap, with cat Chutney, there is at the very least, a subtle, gentle peace on earth, and of this we are all pleased.
     Pooh Bear was most recently adopted by our family, from the Muskoka Animal Shelter, on Highway 118, just west of the intersection of Golden Beach Road in Bracebridge, affiliated of course with the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and so far, we have found the perfect housemate for our cats, Beasley, Angus, Chutney, Zappa, and our other wee canine, Muffin, adopted almost two years ago from the same Shelter. We of course had our concerns, Pooh Bear might not get along with the other inmates here at Birch Hollow, as we have feared with other adopted pets we have taken-in over the years, but this transition was the best and easiest yet. Pooh Bear, who had five or so years of precarious living, inadequate diet and grooming, with a host unfortunate experiences, should by rights, have been somewhat difficult to immerse into our household. It's a pretty busy place with lots of interactions between humans and the pet kind. Nothing of any consequence has occurred. We're in disbelief, because it will be the first adopted pet from an adverse background, that won't have a lengthy period of adjustment to contend with; which by the way, is as if heaven-sent, because we've had some pretty nasty showdowns in the past with new arrivals and the old guard.
     Walking the two dogs these past two weeks has been incredible. I worried initially about the complications of walking two dogs at once, especially seeing as Muffin is aggressive and reactionary to other critters met along the way. Pooh Bear seems for the most part to be a levelling, calming influence, because our numerous walks each day are pleasantly uneventful. Sure, there are a few barks because of intrusive squirrels gathering their rations for the long winter, and the occasional bark from the next block that unsettles Muffin to the on-guard posture should there be an imminent attack. This time of year, with the woodland and hollow of The Bog full of leaves, it does sound wonderful to hear the dogs mucking along the obscured trails, catching the scent of the deer that pass through the property each day. It is such a nostalgic, sentimental feeling, and with Pooh Bear and Muffin leading the way, I can't help think back to all the walks I had, on these same pathways, with our other dogs, Alf, Kramer and Bosco, and it's true that I do sense they're spirits are still with us on these outings, as I occasionally feel an ever so gentle brush against my leg, the way the others used to walk so close to me during our outings, that they actually would trip-me-up with their companionship. It's a nice and comforting feeling now, although after the passing of each, it was difficult to re-trace our steps, and I often found other routes instead, as a matter of sheer avoidance.
     As I noted in the first of this short series of stories, in support of the Muskoka Animal Shelter, I spent a huge amount of time with our dogs, simply because I worked out of our home while Suzanne was employed at Gravenhurst High School. There were days when I spent four to five hours working at a typewriter on the harvest table, or at the computer in our office, always in the company of our pets; usually the dog and one of our cats. I was being influenced every hour of every day I worked as a writer, in those days, just as today, by their presence on, or around me, for some not so obvious reasons. I am a creature of habit, and I have become dependent on their presence in order to work comfortably at whatever writing task I'm currently employed. I have found this out on occasions when the animals haven't been present, and I had long periods staring at the keyboard, not being able to write anything more than a title and my byline. I'm not kidding. I would have to get up, and physically bring a cat into the room, or offer the dog a number of treats, just so that they would settle near me, and either purl or snore, scratch of sniff, which had, you see, become music to an old writer's ear. Their actions and reactions had become requirements of my creative process, and it was entirely a comfort-thing, which was both soothing, yet gently inspirational. I don't like being alone, and even as a latch-key kid, growing up, I had to employ sounds to keep me company. Suzanne reminded me just the other day, how I am not in the door more than two minutes, before I switch the television on, and carry-on the business of homecoming. Even if I'm not sitting in front of it, watching the screen, I am comforted by its sound, which works the same with our pets. I shamelessly use their creature comforts to enhance my productivity. I try to repay them with ample treats, frequent walks for the dogs, and hopefully, a lot of kindness on this pet owner's part.
     It would be after long jags at the typewriter, or computer keyboard, that I would leash the dog, and head out to the woodlands for a little bit of recreation and sometimes adventure depending on what we came across on the intersecting pathways with the natural bounty of resident creatures. Some of my contemporaries have referred to me as a landscape writer, much as if I would be a landscape painter if I had any art talent whatsoever. Much of this landscape affection, has come from these marvelous little outings with a canine companion, and I owe them greatly for the subtle inspirations they've provided just by their participation in my causes, creative and otherwise. After only a few week's together, Pooh Bear has already provided me with many hours of fun recreation, and helped me generate ideas for stories like these from the past seven days. With Muffin and our four cats, making Birch Hollow spirited and entirely pleasant, it is an impossibility, to suffer any lingering bout of writer's block. Of this, I am so very grateful. Writing is a need for me, and I fear a lasting depression if I was unable to create when so desired.
     If you can offer assistance to the Muskoka Animal Shelter, please give them a call and ask what is most urgently needed. If you have some room at your home, and abundant time and kindness in your heart, please consider adopting one of these beautiful animals needing accommodation. If you would like to volunteer at the Shelter, please give them a call.
     Our family is indebted to the Muskoka Animal Shelter, for putting us together with so many amazing pets, that have all in one way or another, enriched our household, and added so much to our family chronicle. Thank you for allowing us to adopt Pooh Bear. She is a joy to behold.

   
   

No comments: