Thursday, December 6, 2012

Hugh Clairmont and a Santa Claus Parade For The Record Book


HUGH CLAIRMONT USED MUSIC TO LIGHTEN UP THE DULLEST DAY - SO GRAVENHURST WAS PRETTY BRIGHT WHEN HE WAS AROUND

THE SANTA CLAUS PARADE IN BRACEBRIDGE - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE WITH HUGH ON BOARD

     HUGH CLAIRMONT, AND SON MARK, WEREN'T STATUS QUO PUBLISHERS. NOT A CHANCE. THAT'S THE FIRST THING I LEARNED ABOUT WORKING WITH THEM. I HAD TO BE AS DIFFERENT AS THEY WERE, IN ORDER TO FIT IN….WITHOUT A SEAM SHOWING TO THE READER. THERE WAS NO "SAME-OLD, SAME-OLD" WITH THESE CHAPS, AS I WOULD LEARN HELPING OUT WITH THE MID-1990'S START-UP OF "MUSKOKA TODAY;" A REGIONAL PAPER WITH A STRONG BIAS TO HOMETOWN GRAVENHURST. AND OF COURSE, HUGH WAS WELL KNOWN ALL OVER MUSKOKA, FROM THE HUNDREDS OF PUBLIC PERFORMANCES, OF HIS MANY BANDS, OVER MORE THAN A HALF CENTURY. SO RIGHT OFF THE MARK, HUGH COULD TAP INTO A LARGE AUDIENCE OF FOLKS HE KNEW, FROM A LIFETIME ON THE MUSIC SCENE, IN ORDER TO HELP LAUNCH THE PUBLICATION. THE FACT THAT HUGH HAD ALSO BEEN A MEDIA PERSONALITY FOR YEARS, WITH OTHER PUBLICATIONS, GAVE "MUSKOKA TODAY," A HEFTY START IN A TOUGH MARKETPLACE.
    THERE WAS LOTS OF COMPETITION. SOME IN THE BUSINESS, FELT THE CLAIRMONTS WERE CRAZY TO EVEN ATTEMPT SUCH A RISKY VENTURE, KNOWING HOW CUT-THROAT IT COULD GET OUT ON THE HUSTINGS, TRYING TO SCARE-UP ENOUGH ADVERTISING TO AT LEAST BREAK-EVEN. THERE HAD BEEN OTHER NEWSPAPER FAILURES IN THE RECENT PAST, AND THE ROAD BEHIND WAS STREWN WITH THE BONES OF LOST ADVENTURERS. I PROBABLY WAS ONE OF THE FIRST CRITICS OF THE PLAN, BECAUSE I HAD CONSIDERABLE EXPERIENCE WITH THE OTHER PUBLISHERS OPERATING IN BRACEBRIDGE AND GRAVENHURST. AS I HAD WORKED FOR BOTH, AND SHORT OF SLIDING DOWN AN DECLINE OF UPRIGHT RAZOR BLADES, THE BID FOR MARKET SHARE WAS GOING TO HURT EVERY DAY FOR A LONG TIME. THEY WERE, AS THEY SAY, UNDAUNTED. THE HELD TO THEIR CONVICTIONS, THAT A GOOD QUALITY, ENTERTAINING, WELL WRITTEN TWICE-MONTHLY, WOULD GET ITS SHARE OF READERS RIGHT OFF THE BAT. ADVERTISERS WOULD NOTICE THIS, AND BEG TO JOIN FORCES WITH THE CLAIRMONTS, TO CREATE A DISTRICT-WIDE PUBLICATION……UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE ON THE LOCAL MARKET. HONESTLY, THEY DID WHAT THEY SET OUT TO DO. I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY, BUT I WAS DEAD WRONG ABOUT MARK AND HUGH'S WILLINGNESS TO FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT……AND SECURE ENOUGH ADS TO KEEP THE PAPER AFLOAT. THEY DEFIED A LOT OF CRITICS. NICK THE GREEK WOULD HAVE GIVEN THEM ONE IN A THOUSAND ODDS OF SUCCEEDING…..AND LOST. BOTH NEWSPAPER PROS, DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO SURRENDER, FIRST OF ALL, AND THEIR PASSION WAS LIKE NOTHING I HAD EVER EXPERIENCED BEFORE. CERTAINLY NOT IN THE PRINT MEDIA, OF WHICH I HAD BUNDLES OF PAST EXPERIENCE. MOST OF THE PEOPLE I WORKED WITH THEN, HATED TO GO TO WORK…..EVEN SOME OF THE MANAGERS.
     WHEN I LEFT THE EMPLOYMENT OF THE TWO WEEKLY NEWSPAPERS, IN BRACEBRIDGE, I SWORE-OFF EVER GETTING INVOLVED WITH PUBLISHERS AGAIN. I JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE PATIENCE TO DEAL WITH THEIR EDITORIAL PROTOCOLS, AS A STAFFER, AND WHAT THEY RESPECTIVELY WANTED TO ACHIEVE….WHICH WAS FINE FOR THEM….BECAUSE THEY WERE THE OWNERS. TO SIDE WITH THEM EDITORIALLY, I FOUND THE CHASM GROWING DEEPER AND WIDER EACH WEEK. I'D BEEN SIDELINED FOR AWHILE AFTER, SO I COULD CONCENTRATE ON RUNNING OUR LITTLE ANTIQUE ENTERPRISE, IN BRACEBRIDGE, AND WRITING SEVERAL MANUSCRIPTS THAT NEVER MADE IT TO PRINT. I WORKED ON SOME FREELANCE PROJECTS, AND HAD A COUPLE OF PUBLISHED COLUMNS HERE AND THERE, BUT NO FORMAL ARRANGEMENT. WHEN MARK AND HUGH OFFERED ME A REGULAR COLUMN SPOT IN THE NEW AND EXCITING "MUSKOKA TODAY," I AGREED WITHOUT HESITATION, BECAUSE I KNEW THEIR POPULARITY WOULD GUARANTEE A POSITIVE ENTRY INTO THE HIGHLY COMPETITIVE MARKET. I WAS RIGHT. THEY WERE RIGHT. AND WE WERE TURNING A LOT OF HEADS WITH THOSE FIRST EDITIONS.

WHAT WE ALL DID FOR HUGH CLAIRMONT - AND YES IT INVOLVED A PARADE

     ANY FRIEND OF PAUL RIMSTEAD, WAS A FRIEND OF MINE. I HAD READ ABOUT HUGH, IN ONE OF RIMMER'S TORONTO SUN COLUMNS, ACTUALLY WRITTEN AND PHONED-IN, FROM THE CLAIRMONT'S BAY STREET HOME. RIMSTEAD HAD SPENT THE NIGHT, AND WAS LIKELY A LITTLE HUNGOVER IN THE MORNING, BUT STILL MANAGED, AFTER A HARDY BREAKFAST, TO MAKE THE DEADLINE FOR THE NEXT DAY'S COLUMN. I WOULD HAVE PAID A MILLION BUCKS TO HAVE SAT IN THE SAME ROOM WITH HUGH AND PAUL…..TALKING ABOUT STUFF. HERE WERE TWO WILD STORY-TELLERS, WHO COULD BOTH FILL A LOT OF WHITE SPACE FOR NEWSPAPER PUBLISHERS, AND THERE MAY HAVE BEEN A FLASK OF SOME LIQUID REFRESHMENT, TO LOOSEN THE WRITERS' LIPS. IT MAKES ME MAD. I DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE GETTING TOGETHER LIKE THIS……SO CLOSE TO HOME. I'D HAVE JUST FOISTED MYSELF ON THE TWOSOME, AS I USED TO VISIT HUGH ON OCCASION ANYWAY……UNINVITED, BUT ALWAYS WELCOMED IN FOR A CHAT. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AN EPIC CHAT….RIMMER AND CLAIRMONT LETTING LOOSE ON EVERY SUBJECT THAT THEY FELT OBLIGED TO OPINE ABOUT.

     Hugh was remarkable for his ability to persuade the undecided. When he began telling me about the plan to get a half-ton truck, and put a band in it, so they could enter the annual Bracebridge Santa Claus Parade, I wasn't particularly surprised. Hugh was a showman. It's what he did best. Folks liked him, with either trumpet in hand, or in front of his lips. It didn't matter. He had a likable face, and a personality that made him endearing by sight, if not at first, by sound. So I bought into the story he was spinning, sitting back in his office chair, at the Muskoka Today office, on First Street, here in Gravenhurst. I think Mark interrupted, to tell me that it was really going to be a promotion, via entertainment on the back of the truck, for Muskoka Today. I assumed that would require a couple of signs to be mounted on the back panels of the truck. Yup, that was going to happen. And Hugh with drummer Wayne Hill, Mark and someone else I can't remember, would be playing a variety of Christmas songs all the way from North Manitoba Street, down to the Silver Bridge, and up and around the Ontario Street to Kimberley, looping behind Memorial Park, and then back to the arena. Sounded good. Great for introduction of the new publication to the citizens of Bracebridge. If you remember Hugh, well sir, there was more. A lot more. The entire Currie family was involved in this strategy.
     I had one significant problem with Hugh Clairmont. I could say "no" to Mark without blinking, and we'd both get over it! I didn't know if Hugh would have had hurt feelings, if I had ever declined a request to assist him, but it never got to that point…..because I just couldn't say "no" in the first place. Honestly, he could manipulate me all over the place…..but it always paid off for me…..even when we followed his advice and moved our family, lock, stock and barrel to Gravenhurst. When Hugh suggested that we would be of immeasurable assistance to the newspaper promotion, if we got our wee lads to hand-out newspapers along the parade route……at first, I thought he was kidding. Before I knew it, he found some old newspaper bags, and we'd been recruited before I had more than a few seconds to mull-it-over……especially what Suzanne was going to say about exploiting our children, for the good of the newspaper.
     The boys had been with me at the time, so they were in, hook, line and sinker. They liked Hugh as much as I did, so when they got a chance to be part of a Santa Claus Parade, the little cherubs couldn't contain their enthusiasm. They rolled up a couple of old papers, and pretended to throw them at spectators. I wasn't at all sure how this was going to work out, but it would most definitely be memorable. Nothing with Hugh was boring or routine, so I had a few days to get mentally prepared for what was coming down the pike.
     It was a bitterly cold son-of-a-bitch, that day, and we all had extra sweaters and long-johns, mitts, toques, and yes, newspaper bags. Hugh was delighted to see that Suzanne had come with us, and in fact, offered both of us matching newspaper bags, (old Toronto Star bags) just like the boys were wearing over their tiny shoulders. Not exactly designer bags, as Suzanne would undoubtedly have preferred. It definitely didn't go with her outfit. Geez, Hugh had done it again. All four Curries, were part of the Santa Claus Parade, and while Hugh and the lads played merry Christmas tunes, we carried heavy bags of papers which we handed out the whole way…..against the wind. Suzanne gave me angry looks every step of that parade, and I had lots of time to think about what wonderful treats I was going to bestow on her, at the end, to make up for the newsprint ingrained in her skin, and the blisters from her "non-parade suitable" footwear. The boys had a blast. That's right. Our two musician sons, Andrew and Robert, apprenticed with one of Muskoka's legendary trumpet player - writers, along that really long and cold parade route. It was the adults newsies who were having problems keeping up. I had crappy shoes on as well, and by time I hit the bottom of Queens Hill, and Thomas Street, the sole of my right running shoe, had separated, and begun to flap with each step. I had, by circumstances beyond my control, become an uninvited and unwelcome second percussion player, with drummer Wayne Hill.
     Every time I looked back at the truck, these guys were having way too much fun, playing, laughing, chatting, playing and waving a lot. I don't know how many papers we gave out that afternoon, but we actually ran out before the loop was completed. It must have been several thousand, but then who was counting. Suzanne was. Oh boy! I think it was the first time ever, a publication had been handed out, from a float, in the Bracebridge Santa Claus Parade. Hugh knew how I liked historical "firsts," so he gave me a big one on that day. Strangely, I met up with quite a few former readers from my Herald-Gazette and Muskoka Advance days, and I was able to let them know that my columns were still in active publication…..and only a few miles south. Suzanne met up with a lot of her former teaching colleagues and students, from Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes Secondary School, where she was before transferring to Gravenhurst. So she made it a social occasion, as did I. Actually, these friends also distracted her from planning ways to kill me, at the end of the parade. The boys were just thrilled to get back to the arena, for the free hot dogs and hot chocolate served to parade volunteers.
     It was a tough haul on a cold winter day, but it provided a memory that was well worth the experience. I have remembered everything I ever did with Hugh Clairmont, because they were always unique, and absolutely remarkable in their own peculiar way. Hugh habitually thought outside the box, as they say today, so it was his commonplace, to do something to attract attention…..and if you happened to be with him at the time…..well by golly, you were going to get attention deflected your way………as it was just one of the risks of being in his company. He knew everyone. If you walked down the street with Hugh, his arm was in the air rotating like a propellor, at passing motorists, cops, delivery drivers, cabbies, mayors in passing, and all the pedestrians and shopkeepers on both sides of the street. He said hello to people he didn't know, as a matter of routine. He figured that if you were visiting his town, he should get to know you. I had a lot of respect for his public relations savvy, and while some thought him to be intrusive, they could never say he wasn't friendly…..in the most outgoing way.
     Hugh was in his element, in the back of that pickup truck, playing the frosty horn and waving to the crowd……who were thinking of him as part Santa, part Elf, part musician, but most part entertaining character…….who was being yelled at by acquaintances, from the parking lot of the arena, even before we started, all the way back to the parking lot….where they were still yelling at him. And he was waving. So based on this public relations lark, it worked out pretty well for the first year of Muskoka Today. I got lots of feedback, and many new readers, in part, because it was assumed, that anyone who wrote for the same paper as Hugh Clairmont, had to be "good people." Being associated with this legend of music and print in Muskoka, was a career booster…..at the same time as it was an odyssey to behold.
     I can't imagine what Gravenhurst would have been like, if Hugh Clairmont had never been born. Gads would we have been duller than Bedford Falls. Hugh gave our town a buzz that was hard to ignore, and we all benefitted, whether we ever told the old guy or not….. just how much we cared for him. That starting year, of Muskoka Today, we shared our Christmas with Hugh Clairmont and family……and we would eventually wind-up, celebrating the season at Muskoka Sands, with associate writers like Jack Hutton and Mel Malton amongst many others. What a highly charged, fascinating time it was. I wish you could have been there.
     I've always thought, that like Parry Sound has a billboard picture of Bobby Orr, Gravenhurst should have a huge photo of Hugh with his panama hat and trumpet. It would be the face that reminds visitors, just how much fun we're all about in this neck of the woods. You know what? We could use some of that Clairmont excitement again. Get some smiles back on our faces.
     Thanks very much for joining me for this look back, to another era of local history. I'm delighted you had some time to visit. Please come again. There's always another seat available, around the old Birch Hollow hearth…..especially at Christmas time. Suzanne has brought out some extra chairs for late-comers. Like I said before, our favorite program as kids, was the "Friendly Giant"….so how can you tell?

No comments: