Sunday, December 25, 2011

CHRISTMAS IN GRAVENHURST -


CRICKET ON THE HEARTH - A DUSTING OF SNOW - CHRISTMAS CHEER - AND WHAT A KIND AND CARING TOWN THIS IS


NO MATTER HOW AGITATED I MIGHT BE, OR FRUSTRATED ABOUT SOMETHING GOING WRONG, OR FEELING AS IF I'D LIKE TO HURL A TYPEWRITER INTO THE LILACS, WHICH IS THE GENERAL MOOD-SWING OF THE WRITER IN RESIDENCE, A STINT DOWN HERE IN THE ARCHIVES……WORKS EVERY TIME. YOU KNOW, WHEN I BEGAN THIS SPECIAL BLOG SERIES, FOR THE CHRISTMAS SEASON, I WROTE ABOUT A BANDY LEGGED WEE BEASTIE, THAT HAD SOMETIME THIS PAST AUTUMN SEASON, BECOME AN UNEXPECTED RESIDENT HERE. I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S A FAMILY OF CRICKETS, WHICH I PRESUME TO BE THE CASE, OR JUST ONE OUTCAST WITH NO OTHER PLACE TO GO. THERE ARE TIMES WHEN IT IS QUITE ANNOYING, TO SEE HIM HOPPING ABOUT WITH SO MUCH DISREGARD FOR THE LANDLORD. AT FIRST, THE CHIRPING STARTED TO SERIOUSLY ANNOY ME BECAUSE IT WAS IMPROMTU, SUCH THAT I'D EXPECT A SUCCESSION OF CHIRPS, BUT GET A VERY INTERRUPTED SEQUENCE……MAKING ME STOP AND WAIT FOR IT TO RESUME. I CAME, IN ONLY MINUTES, TO DEPEND ON THAT FAMILIAR SOUND. I HAVEN'T HEARD THE WEE CHAP IN A WHILE, AND I WAS BEGINNING TO THINK A SPIDER HAD TAKEN HIM TO DINNER……OR AS DINNER.

SO WHEN I CAME DOWN HERE, A FEW MOMENTS AGO, WITH AN ANNOYING NEIGHBOR ISSUE (HAVE A FEW PROPERTY RIGHTS ISSUES WITH AN ABUTTING RESIDENT), I WAS SMOKING OUT OF MY EARS LET ME TELL YOU. IT ONLY HAPPENS SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR, BUT ALREADY 2011 HAS BEEN TWICE THE NORM. SUZANNE SENDS ME TO MY ARCHIVES ROOM, KNOWING FULL WELL, I'LL JUST QUIETLY SIMMER AND WRITE SOMETHING. I DON'T, BY THE WAY, EVER, EVER, SIT DOWN AND WRITE AN EDITORIAL MAD…..AND IF I DO, IT WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED. IT IS A LONGSTANDING RULE. SUZANNE HAS BEEN MY EDITOR FOR MORE THAN TWO DECADES, AND SHE CENSORS ALL THE MAD OUT OF THE COPY. IT'S ONE THING TO PRESENT AN ARGUMENT, BUT QUITE ANOTHER TO USE VENOM ON THE TIP OF THE ADJECTIVES. IT HAS NO PLACE ANYWAY. AN EDITORIAL IS CORRUPTED BY EMOTION. SUZANNE HAS HAD TO CUT QUITE A LOT OF EMOTION OUT OF STORIES IN THE PAST…….AND ON AT LEAST FIFTY PERCENT OF THE OCCASIONS, I JUST SCRAP THE WHOLE PIECE. FAIR PLAY IN EDITORIAL COPY, DEPENDS ON REASON, AND I DON'T FIND ANGER SUITS THE PURPOSE…..OTHER THAN TO LET OFF SOME STEAM, AND READ IT BACK FOR PERSONAL SATISFACTION……..NOT FOR THE SHOCK AND DISMAY OF READERS. THEY DON'T DESERVE IT EITHER.

So this little cricket has been hopping about in the corner of the room, where there is an old hockey stick and skates stored, awaiting the next game of frozen pond shinny. I haven't heard it singing, chirping or talking (like a Walt Disney character), so I guess it is either not interested in mating, or has figured out it annoys me……so much so that I tried to catch it several times, using human cunning and deception. Didn't work. So here I am, with less of the anger I arrived here with, watching this little beast jump about, in some sort of insect dance I'm not familiar……and I've started to write again. Do you see sparks coming from these words….smell a little spontaneous combustion? Suzanne worries she might come down here one day, and find my slippers full of smoldering ash, and nothing else. Except maybe this cricket, who will possibly find the materials to make a better nest for this family. I haven't forgotten what made me mad in the first place, and I'm going to be ever watchful of the same oversight happening again, but largely, the Christmas spirit has overcome me once more…….and should opportunity present, before I finish work here, I shall offer the hand of goodwill to my cricket colleague, that has today taken my mind on a playful meander, without too much consequence. Now let me be clear. When I say I'll offer him my hand….come on….give me some credit. I didn't mean I was going to squash him……and I certainly realize the leg to hand differential. It will be a symbolic kind of thing….like burying the hatchet.

One of the editorial points I wanted to make, today, was about the tremendous outpouring of support, this Christmas season, from all quarters of this community, to help those in economic crisis. From the regional churches, town organizations, clubs, leagues, banks, the business community, students in elementary and high school, to the citizenry in general, who found the resources and time, to make donations to those in need. I'm sure the Salvation Army is well aware of the high level of benevolence in our community, and it is so pleasing to know the general concern residents have for one another. If ever there was a need to identify community pride, precisely, to fill some need for identification, and where this benevolence exists…..well folks, it is with all of you. The demonstration of generosity has been overwhelming, and shows that we are a community that sticks together when the going gets rough……and that is what we find looking back through history. The willingness to, time and again, go out on a limb to help someone in need. And situations can reverse, and often the benefactors of once, are amongst those donating back, to help other neighbors down on their luck. It should make us all proud of being from Gravenhurst……

I want to extend thanks, once again, to all those performers and volunteers, who helped us run our Christmas concert, for the food bank, at the magnificent Gravenhurst Opera House, and for the kindness, and directorship once again, of our old friend, Fred Schulz, our only choice for master of ceremonies. The boys are still being complimented on the successful outcome of the show…..but they'll tell you honestly, it couldn't have been done without the many volunteers, who show up each year ready to pitch in…….and it's a great feeling to have so many friends….who care so much…..about the welfare of our town.

We also want to acknowledge the Gravenhurst Rotary Club, for offering to cover the rental cost of the Opera House this year. What a kind gesture.

There now, I've just heard a cricket chirp….or whatever you call it. Possibly it agrees with what I've just written. Seeing as we're living under the same roof, it's so much better to agree with one another……except on politics of course. We won't go there!!!

No comments: