Thursday, September 29, 2011

MAKING MEMORIES NOW - THIS IS WHERE WE WANT TO LIVE


I've written about this many times but you know, it deserves repeating. It's important to me, and it's just as important to our family. The fact I feel obligated to editorialize about the follies of local government, doesn't mean I disrespect each councillor. It's simply not true. I do however, unapologetically generalize, when I feel council has made a mistake in judgement, or acted in a manner ratepayers should be concerned. I know many councillors personally, and although we won't be sending each other Christmas cards again this year, doesn't mean we don't, on occasion, see (as they say), "eye to eye." What I'm looking for in a councillor, is one who occasionally breaks rank, goes a little rogue-like, and isn't afraid of berating his or her colleagues when it is deemed appropriate. I get mad when complacency rules the roost, because counter-point, and vigorous debate is what helps ratepayers feel they are getting their vote's worth. Debate is healthy. Complacency and compliance are good at times, crappy when it's not given its full range of benefits at the council table.

I've spent a lot of time outdoors since the spring, and much of that time has been observing the wonderful environs of our hometown. I wander the woodlands of The Bog, and I adore lounging with a picnic down at Gull Lake Park. I savor moments in our garden, and sitting outside and listening to the loons, the owls, the various critters of the night, and the haunting old sound of a steamship in passage along our lake. No matter how angry I might get about the way municipal government operates, or how much I personally disagree with some of their decisions, or lack of, I'm reminded on my outdoor ramblings, that I didn't move to Muskoka, or to Gravenhurst because of local politics. I moved here because it was perfect for my family. Perfect for the kind of life we wanted for our two boys. What we wanted day to day, at work and play, and just what we needed to fill our lives with the natural splendor of this powerfully restorative region on earth.

As a writer, I have benefitted greatly, from all of these hometown feelings. I'm stodgy and persnickety, stubborn and steadfast, and my opinions are shaped slowly and soundly, and seldom wrong as a rule. I like Gravenhurst. Even with some of the council antagonisms we share, nothing distracts me for long, about the truly splendid attributes we have here in South Muskoka. While at times it seems to be daunting trying to catch a break here, the truth is, there is a rejuvenation in progress, despite the downturn of the economy, that will bring Gravenhurst a renewal. You can't be in this kind of advantageous position on the Muskoka Lakes, and not reap the benefits of an expanding urban area in the south…..and paradise less than two hours north. As we have been influenced from the 1870's by tourism, we will see a spike of interest in the next decade that will facilitate much grander change, and re-development.

Maybe it seems like I'm always complaining. Well, in my heart it's a different story. I will never, at least voluntarily, leave this little town……that took us in as the "undecided," and convinced us, it was a home like no other. No regrets. We made the right decision to move here, and that's a statement I can make that has stood the test of personal and family debate for decades. Now if we can just get councillors to debate…..I mean really debate…..that would be great!

No comments: