Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Bear Sleeps No More

STANDING UP FOR OUR COMMUNITY - WE’VE BEEN INSPIRED BY CRISIS - ONE AFTER THE OTHER - WE’VE BEEN ON THE SIDELINES FOR FAR TOO LONG

On the day we began our fight to “Save The Bog” several years ago, as the Town of Gravenhurst thought it would be a sure money-maker (possibly to invest in a new town hall), selling it off for residential lots, my anger peaked when I was blown-off, dismissed, ignored by numerous council members.....who had the gall later, to say our persistence to save a wetland nearly gave them ulcers. We asked, right from the beginning, for an on-site visitation by council, to see for themselves what they were deeming surplus property. We had one confirmed visit and one unconfirmed. The rest sort of let us know they knew the place well enough, not to require a meeting on the property, or to stand toe to toe with ulcer-makers like us. The fact that they thought of me, and our family as intrusive, and unworthy of their time, brought out the old “Shane” in me.....and although I’m bigger than Alan Ladd.....let me tell you folks.....there was know way I was going to be casually dismissed. They couldn’t believe I wouldn’t go away. My wife feels the same way most days. I’m like a fungus with remarkable staying power.
I made a comment.....no a clear statement, that I would personally seek the resignation of any council member, who would vote on such a contentious environmental issue, without a full appreciation of the property being sacrificed. Which by the way is a small but significant acreage in the Calydor Subdivision, that filters a huge volume of run-off water, from a large area of the urban town, before it drains into Muskoka Bay. The bottom line is that, the town backed down, and changed their perspective on the property. It helped that we were able to count on assistance from the Ratepayers Association and cottager associations who phoned in support for the conservation effort. Councillors had to know they were being studied closely, and weren’t going to get away with anything remotely cavalier, or profoundly arrogant, by snubbing those who truly care about the quality of life in this community. When we heard the news that the bog had been taken off the surplus property list, we were ecstatic. They would have been too, if they’d appreciated what would have come next. We had garnered huge support from well beyond our neighborhood and town in fact, and many offers of financial support if the matter had gone further. It wasn’t a show of force for something frivolous. It was a demonstration that citizens can accomplish a great deal when they organize and push back, when they feel their elected officials are fobbing them off.
Today I had the opportunity to hear more feedback regarding the situation at our newly restored (almost) recreation centre, that’s been getting a fair amount of news coverage in recent days. What I’ve found, is a genuinely interested....and certainly agitated group of friends and neighbors, some who haven’t had a municipal grievance in decades, others who read the papers for entertainment, not to inspire conniptions. I’m impressed by the chatter of concerned citizens who want to know more. Folks who stay as far away from controversy as they can, who now are peeved by embarrassing press coverage.....and that their taxes are going up due to recreation centre problems. Hundreds of residents of our town, having family roots firmly planted in the generations of community builders past, are deeply upset by the whole winter’s toll of bad news; whether it has been the chagrin of downtown businesses, the tragic mainstreet fire, a huge tax increase for 2011, and this latest bit of adverse news to make the front page. And I’m very pleased that the folks I’ve talked to, while upset with current events, are sensible in proportion, when they say with some tiny prick of venom...”Someone’s got to pay for this!” Not one person, I talked to today, suggested any sort of angry protest or march on town hall. I heard that yesterday.
When we rallied against the sell-off of the bog, it was a simple and persistent information sharing with town hall. When I was told by one council member to relax and enjoy the summer, I made it clear, abundantly so.....that we would indeed be most delighted to relax, when council dropped the proposal. We maintained polite pressure, and let our elected officials know the height and breadth of our position to protect the wetland. I had a length of chain and a lock, and a tree in mind, to attach myself. I’d been boning up on my Zen meditations, so that the sound of a chainsaw wouldn’t frighten the bejeebers out of me. I think they believed I would do it. My impression was they didn’t like the idea of facing the national media......like now. With us, we had our plan of defense, drawn up and ready to go, within hours of the first newspaper mention that the Calydor acreage was being considered surplus. They certainly didn’t like the fact we were so well organized, and had a better plan than they did. My headlines read “Wetland to be sacrificed to fund new town hall.” I was the horse’s arse let me tell you. No Christmas cards from council that year.
That’s why I’m so pleased today, to find citizens who are tuned-in to what’s going on in their town. I remember reading comments by several councillors, pointing out poor attendance at public meetings, on many occasions in the past. They frequently and mistakenly equate the low numbers with disinterest in the community’s well being. I really think they believe the public is less astute and less interested.....and thus, won’t really be much of an imposition pushing through certain aspects of council business.....like honking big tax increases.
Then comes along one of those revelations, one of those “last straw” situations, and the sleeping bear comes roaring back to life. As I’ve written about before, I loathe the idea of any kind of nasty, retaliatory protest that might seem appropriate to some citizens at this moment. While I certainly do believe this is the time for present members of council to appreciate just how well informed their constituents are, the critical issue here, for a positive outcome, is that we allow investigators to shed light on allegations. I had bad vibes yesterday about some looming over-reactions, and how terribly contrary this would be to an already precarious and complicated situation. Council, I’m pretty sure, recognizes by now, the folks they represent are pissed, and they will demand accountability for their role. It would be unwise to the extreme, for our elected officials now, to suggest we “chill.” We will be patient, I believe, but we won’t be treated as if we can’t handle the truth.
The signs are good, that the citizens of Gravenhurst, who have had a rather difficult winter all told, have been invigorated to a sharp point by recent affairs, and it means, to me, we will be part of the solution to what ails us presently. We are not a vigilante group.....we are hometowners who care deeply for our friends and neighbors, and the good name of this community. It is true that many folks in this town have felt helpless to change political will.....to hold back massive tax increases,....to save forests and lowlands from development, and to create pro-active goverenance that does give a crap about mainstreet maladies. I think we are seeing a turn-around in this town that will clearly imprint citizen values, and expectations, on the town hall that we have paid for. Make no mistake, the sleeping bear slumbers no more!

No comments: