Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A ROOM WITH A VIEW

It might seem to some readers that old Mr. Currie is a political animal and environmental activist, having no other sport in life, than to ruffle-up status quo. What sometimes gets lost in any great debate or lengthy discussion about local politics, or economic challenges.....or whether a green belt should be hacked down for another box store, is that most of us critic types, are edgy this way because we love our home and region. There are critics of mine who loathe the idea of my writing yet another column about political ineptitude, or downtown business depression, let alone screaming in print (if you can imagine) about some environmental slaughter. They grit their teeth and read as if their eyes were sliding along sandpaper. I love to entertain. I really do like to inform, it’s just that as a freelancer, it’s quite within my rights to opine a tad as well.
Fact is, I love this town and district enough to give a crap, about everything that’s going on here......what you know about, and what I have ferreted-out that, as they say, could “scare Christ off the Cross.” There are times I wish politics could be avoided altogether, and as far as me being controversial, all it means is that I’m less conservative than those who make it their responsibility to present the news. The news behind the news has always interested me, since my days as a cub reporter. I’d be sent out to do a pretty basic story but I’d come back with something incredible, simply because I didn’t buy the official line......the one that was supposed to whitewash everything else. It used to drive my publisher nuts. What was desired and what they got were too different things, and a lot of folks simply didn’t want to be handed the truth on a newspaper platter.
Today I have been watching out the window of my office, and quite enjoying the fact my restorative measures have finally brought new life to the bird feeder. We had to disengage feeding the wee beasties because the deer from The Bog were visiting for lunch and dinner, and causing a real traffic problem here on Segwun Blvd. Having a lot fewer deer now, we have been able to get our feeder back in working order, now a little higher and closer to the homestead than before. What a de-stressing pleasure it is, so far from politics and news hounding, to just sit here with a hot brew, watching the birds dining out.
Thinking however gently, about the next great dust-up I might engage. I’m just too calm now to think past the warm bran muffin with the melted butter on top.


No comments: