Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A WEE NOTE OF SUPPORT FOR LOCAL COUNCILLORS IN GRAVENHURST
I ran for Bracebridge Council twice and got clobbered. Two reasons why? Even as a writer with a pretty fair readership, the voters didn’t want an editor and columnist representing their interests. Stands to reason that if they didn’t like my widely published opinions, which were pretty hard on developers, then they wouldn’t even entertain the possibility of awarding me a vote. Secondly, as it relates to the first, I have been against urban sprawl for decades and in Bracebridge, and the voters felt that jobs and economic prosperity were infinitely more desirable than pastureland....in the case of Ball’s Flats where the plaza development now dominates the landscape. If I was clearly mistaken about anything it was the misguided belief that readers could be votes "for."
Both times I felt my campaign was balanced and of sensible proportion and both times, I found out that opinion is just that......and not one vote more than the one I checked for myself. I vowed after two defeats that there would never be a third strike taken. Really. Instead of vowing to win the very next municipal election, I decided to quit trying....hence there never was a third strike to make. Cowardice. More like resignation that as an "ideas" man, who has always worn his opinions like brightly colored ribbons on a compromised lapel, I was never going to be able to advocate the kind of urban activity, the majority of voters demanded. So rather than be in an ongoing battle with everyone it seemed, my life as a politician was left at the dream stage. Here’s why that’s a good thing!
As a reporter / editor and longstanding historian, I have worked closely with municipal councils, and been a keen follower of government activities in our region, both as a profession, reporting for the local press, and as an associate of local government, representing several groups, including the Bracebridge Historical Society and the Crozier Foundation, that both needed ongoing council / councillor co-operation. Working in conjunction with the town gave me the insight into business operations I hadn’t witnessed as a reporter.....and that had been a critical failing of perspective. My years as a reporter, covering hundreds of council meetings, and writing weekly articles about political issues, gave me a tremendous insight into local governance, the good, bad and the ugly. A lot of what went on I couldn’t write about and there was much more that demanded months of investigative reporting to be responsible with story-line. None of us had the time and money to invest in this, and it was hard enough to report day to day, with the obstacles thrown in front of a skeleton crew of writers.
I never once believed that the councils, I was covering, were in any way corrupt or dishonest in their governance, just that they didn’t wish us to know certain things.....that were within their rights to withhold......but our "public’s right to know" mantra pounding in our minds. We always seemed to be battling on that front, and it set us at odds many times, with councillors who always had the town’s best interest at heart. We knew that. We just didn’t appreciate what we thought at the time, were cover-ups and mis-leading information from the truth at hand. Upon years of reflection, I realize we were a merciless crew, and it undoubtedly built up opposition, based solely on the near-confrontational way we asked questions and pursued hearsay. We all usually agreed to disagree with each other, shook hands, and wrote our stories....and they yelled at us....or ignored us when the stories ran above the fold.....which may have shown them in a poor light you might say. It wasn’t our mission to do this but the tug-a-war between our disciplines caused many gaps in understanding that were indeed failures to communicate.
After my failed election campaigns, I cowered from ever trying political office again. I even wrote about it once in a column for Muskoka Today......that nothing could ever influence me to take up that horrible task of being a councillor. Pretty profound for a guy who seems to take pot shots at council a lot? It must be a lot easier being a critic than a player? Well it is easier writing from here than sitting in a council meeting, being yelled at by some unrepentant, unhappy property owner....that goes without saying. I don’t make hasty comments that I can’t defend but I still appreciate it as being easier to pen thoughts from a safe house than calm angry citizens in person. I’m not in the habit of criticizing council pay increases.
While it might not seem like it via blog editorials, the truth is, I know full well how impossible it can be to assume responsibility, for the responsible operation of local government. It is without question a thankless job. It is a task that requires not only thick skin but the personal character to withstand abuse, weather every storm, put out fires, appreciate contrary opinion, be a diplomat, a negotiator, a restorer of faith, and a missionary all at once. And be particularly good at problem resolution, and have a conscience that is loaded with integrity and sensibility because you will be tested, and frequently.
As for Gravenhurst councillors, they do take a lot of heat, and leading up to this fall’s municipal election, present representatives will face a grilling and criticism, over and above what they’ve received any time in the past. Taxes are hurting us big time, along with other increases to hydro, water and sewer. Taxpayers see debt-load as a huge factor in our ability to function with any kind of true financial prosperity in the next ten years, and they see a new town hall as an extravagance we can’t afford. In this respect, I do support the local ratepayers group that is currently making this a main focus for the upcoming election. They have my support. But I also feel sorry for the councillors who believe whole heartedly, that their ambitions for a new town hall, are aimed at making a positive investment in their home town. Having worked on similar projects which didn’t exactly make taxpayer’s pleased, it is a gut-wrenching decision to support what the public appears to resent. Those who have voted and support this project obviously have their reasons, and have done their homework regarding costs over-runs and the burden of debt they are bestowing upon us.....the taxpayers. Still, I have to admire their courage and conviction that they are doing the right thing.....and when you learn about the growing opposition to the plan, and to stay the course regardless, is a show of faith that is either misguided, or abundantly responsible and sincere. The fall-out of a bad decision will be huge. They seem willing to face the consequences, and I am somewhat comforted by the fact they are willing to stand up to their opponents, for what they believe is the right call for everyone. On the other hand, democracy is known for handing out meaty discipline to those who deserve it.
This does read with some flavor of hypocrisy because making a bad decision, whether as a group or singularly, can’t be diminished or neutralized by bravery alone. There have been many brave decisions that went horribly wrong with many consequences. Having worked with dozens of government officials, and councillors over the years, I recognize one reality as the great equalizer......and that is the will of the majority of voters. If they believe councillors made correct moves and responsible decisions, they will be afforded the consideration they warrant. If they, in the minds of the electorate, screwed up, then their term of office will be cut to a several line entry in local history.
While I’m sure there are many who would be shocked to read this, I do have respect for a number of our elected officials.......when one might assume, by my past forays with the same group, that nary a one has any redeeming quality. Those seeking re-election will have to address some of the shortfalls that have irritated many of us in the past four years......but I’m willing to hear their side. I’m pretty sure they all know that an eight percent tax increase, with no apology, won’t get them re-elected. So I will entertain any new information that comes along, so that I can truly judge their courage and experience dealing with the critical operation of local government, .......or whether they are of the minority who feel the taxpayer is simply an annoyance to be tolerated and nothing more. This year will be different, and I dare say, the annoyance factor will translate into votes against arrogance.
Upon many years of reflection, "no" I would not want to be an elected official. I have a thin skin, I like to throw stones and not be hit by them, and I’m prone to fisticuffs against my adversaries.....I’m Irish you know. But beyond the bluster that is me, I love this home town, and I would do anything to help it secure a better and more prosperous future. And I’m reasonably sure that all our council members have a pretty fair allegiance to the town as well.....so I don’t doubt that they truly desire a better Gravenhurst for their families....... and are genuinely trying to achieve this. It comes down to a battle of whether we can afford the lengths gambled, in order to secure perceived prosperity. In other words, is the mission to achieve "prosperity within progress," balanced on a precarious, existing and growing financial risk to the prosperity we already enjoy. Ask these questions of all council hopefuls. Spare them the scorn. If you were to walk in their shoes but a short distance, well, you’d soon appreciate their job isn’t all that enviable.
And you might say "they knew what they were getting into before they ran for election!"
If only that was true! Even for experienced council members, each term is unrelenting in its challenges, daunting in difficulties.

No comments: