Saturday, August 9, 2014

Parry Sound-Muskoka MP Tony Clement Alright By Me; An "Everywhere" Kind Of Riding Representative


Johnny Ahsome of Type Salon and Barber of Gravenhurst lowers musician Shawn William Clarke's ears in preparation for next Friday's Currie's Studio Session performance at St. James Anglican Church on Hotchkiss Street; where Shawn will be playing on the same bill as Jerry Leger. Tickets are still available. Johnny Ahsome and wife Alyssa were giving haircuts for 25 cents with money raised plus donations going to the weekly youth night at the Gravenhurst Opera House.



M.P. TONY CLEMENT IS APPROACHABLE, ACCESSIBLE, AND AMAZINGLY TUNED TO THE AGES - A GOOD FIT FOR WHAT WE NEED IN PARRY SOUND-MUSKOKA

AN "EVERYWHERE" KIND OF GUY, PLUGGED-IN, PERSONALLY AND ELECTRONICALLY CONNECTED - AND HIP TO THE TIMES AND STRESSES IN HIS RIDING

     TODAY'S BLOG IS ABOUT TONY CLEMENT. OUR FEDERAL MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT. BUT BEFORE I GET TO "WHAT I THINK OF HIM," AND HONESTLY SO, I NEED TO MAKE A FEW THINGS CLEAR FROM THE START. NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU LOOK, OR DIG INTO MY PAST, YOU WILL FIND VERY LITTLE EVIDENCE OF MY BEING CONSERVATIVE, EXCEPT IN THE WAY I MOW MY LAWN AND SHOVEL THE WINTER'S SNOW. THIS IS JUST AN OPINION PIECE, AS OFFERED BY A REGIONAL HISTORIAN, WHO OCCASIONALLY FINDS A BONE TO GNAW ON, OR AN ISSUE THAT NEEDS A LITTLE CLARITY. I THINK WE OWE THE GOOD MR. CLEMENT SOME CREDIT FOR HIS WORK WITHIN THE RIDING. AS FOR WHAT HE DOES ON PARLIAMENT HILL, I AM PRETTY VAGUE ABOUT ANYTHING THAT GOES ON PAST THE EAST GATE OF ALGONQUIN PARK. FIRST, A BACKGROUNDER! I FIRST NEED TO PROVE MY NON-POLITICAL BIAS.
     MY GRANDFATHER WAS A POLITICAL TEETH GNASHER. HE'D READ THE EVENING PAPER, OR LISTEN TO THE RADIO NEWS, AND YOU COULD HEAR STANLEY JACKSON GRINDING HIS TEETH AND JAW. HE WAS A CONTRACTOR WHO HAD WORKED WITH FEDERAL DEFENSE MINISTER, PAUL HELLYER, A DEVELOPER IN TORONTO, AHEAD OF HIS POLITICAL CAREER; BUT CONNECTEDNESS IN BUSINESS AND FRIENDSHIP, DIDN'T MAKE STANLEY A LIBERAL. MY UNCLE CARMEN JACKSON, AND MY FATHER ED, ALSO WORKED, FOR A TIME, WITH MR. HELLYER, IN THE SAME CAPACITY. THEY WERE WORKING ON THE CONSTRUCTION SIDE WITH WOOD, SAWS, HAMMERS AND NAILS. IT DIDN'T MATTER IF YOU WERE A FRIEND OR NOT. MY GRANDFATHER HELD THE HIGH GROUND ON ANY POLITICAL DEBATE. AND IF HE HAD A PARTY OF CHOICE, IT WAS FOR THAT PARTICULAR ELECTION, THAT PARTICULAR TIME OF ECONOMY, GOOD OR BAD, AND ONCE HE DUG HIS HEALS IN, FAMILY MEMBERS RECOGNIZED IT WAS A SORT OF WORSE-CASE-SCENARIO, TO EVEN MENTION HELLYER'S POLITICAL STAND; THAT DAY, THAT MONTH, OR THAT YEAR. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT MY UNCLE CARMEN, BUT BOTH MY MOTHER, (STAN'S DAUGHTER, MERLE) AND MY FATHER, A PROUD SURVIVOR OF THE TOUGHEST YEARS OF THE CABBAGETOWN EXPERIENCE, WERE DEFINITELY OF THE GARDEN VARIETY TEETH GNASHER. IN LATER LIFE, MY FATHER LOST ALL HIS TEETH, SO HE CLENCHED HIS JAW INSTEAD, AS HE DID WHEN HE WAS AN ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNNER, ON THE WAR SHIP, COATICOOK (NAMED AFTER A COMMUNITY IN QUEBEC), SERVING IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC SQUADRON, DURING THE CONVOYS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR. SO IT HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN TO ME HONESTLY. MY MOTHER, BEFORE SHE DIED, SAID I WAS AS INTENSE A HUMAN BEING AS HER FATHER, ALTHOUGH SHE WAS DISAPPOINTED I NEVER PLAYED THE VIOLIN LIKE STANLEY. YUP, HE WAS THE "CARPENTER-VIOLINIST." I BECAME THE WRITER-BARITONE PLAYER INSTEAD. AS FOR POLITICAL OPINING, APPARENTLY HE WOULD HAVE BEEN PROUD OF ME, FOR BEING SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS, TO ALL FORMS OF GOVERNANCE, AND ALL CHARACTERS OF POLITICAL STRIPE I DON'T HAPPEN TO LIKE.
     THE REASON I FEEL OBLIGATED TO OFFER THIS WORDY INTRODUCTION, IS THAT I AM ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING THAT IS STRIKINGLY UNUSUAL AND TOTALLY OUT OF PROPORTION TO EVERYTHING ELSE I TANGLE WITH, DURING A WRITING YEAR. BUT I FEEL STRONGLY, AS A CONSTITUENT, AND AS A REGIONAL HISTORIAN, TO THROW A LITTLE BOQUET OUT, TO OUR SITTING M.P. FOR PARRY SOUND-MUSKOKA, WHICH, IF I WAS STANDING ON STANLEY JACKSON'S GRAVE, IN TORONTO'S PARK LAWN CEMETERY, I'M PRETTY SURE RIGHT NOW, THIS PRECISE MOMENT, I'D DETECT THE VIBRATION OF A LARGE MAN ROLLING OVER IN HIS COFFIN. IT'S BECAUSE WE JACKSONS AND CURRIES ARE STAUNCH TO CONCRETE, ABOUT OUR BELIEFS, SPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO POLITICS. WE ALL HAVE A WEE CROSS TO BEAR, AND THIS ONE IS MINE. I FIND IT HARD TO AGREE WITH ANY POLITICIAN THESE DAYS. I FIND IT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A POLITICAL PARTY I ACTUALLY FEEL FITS MY GROOVE OF INTEREST. SO COMING OUT WITH A POSITIVE REVIEW LIKE THIS, IS NOT ONLY OUT OF CHARACTER, BUT IT FLIES IN THE FACE OF MY OWN, LIFE-LONG BELIEFS; THAT CANADIANS NEED TO CONSTANTLY DESPISE THE GOVERNING PARTY, BLAMING THEM FOR EVERYTHING FROM IN-GROWN TOE-NAILS, TO THE STRUGGLE AND AGGRAVATION OF CONSITAPATION. SO IF YOU ARE INTRIGUED, WHY A SPITTING-NAILS BLOGGER, IN SOUTH MUSKOKA, HAS DROPPED HIS GUARD, A TAD, TO BESTOW CREDIT ON A SMALL PART OF A GOVERNMENT, I HAVEN'T BEEN ON-SIDE WITH, ALMOST FROM THE BEGINNING, WELL, THE ANSWER IS FORTHCOMING.
     AS RELATED TO FORMER MPP, FRANK MILLER, WHO I RESPECTED WELL, WELL BEYOND WHAT HIS PARTY REPRESENTED, I HAVE TO SAY, I'M IMPRESSED WITH THE REPRESENTATION WE HAVE, AND ARE RECEIVING, FROM TONY CLEMENT.
     GOD FORBID. THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL EDITORIAL, AND I DIDN'T EVEN VOTE FOR THE GUY LAST TIME AROUND. I WAS A CARD CARRYING CONSERVATIVE PARTY MEMBER, FOR ABOUT FIFTEEN MINUTES IN THE PAST 59 YEARS, AND EVEN THEN, THE ONLY REASON I SIGNED-ON, WAS BECAUSE I WAS A BIG FAN OF FORMER MUSKOKA M.P.P. FRANK MILLER, DURING THE ELECTION, HE RAN FOR THE OFFICE OF PREMIER OF ONTARIO, BACK IN THE LATE 1980'S. I FOLLOW WHAT HIS SON, NORM MILLER, OUR CURRENT M.P.P, IS DOING FOR US AT QUEEN'S PARK. I WAS IN THE BRACEBRIDGE AND MUSKOKA LAKES SECONDARY SCHOOL BAND, WITH NORMAN, BACK IN 1974, WHEN WE TOURED ENGLAND, SO THAT QUALIFIED US, WHETHER HE LIKES IT OR NOT, AS LIFE-LONG FRIENDS. WHILE I ALWAYS APPRECIATE WHAT THE MILLERS HAVE DONE FOR OUR DISTRICT, FOR LONG AND LONG, FORGIVE THE OLD NEWS HOUND, FOR MAKING SOME RETROSPECTIVE REMARKS, ABOUT OUR PRESENT M.P. TONY CLEMENT, THE CURRENT PRESIDENT OF THE TREASURY BOARD OF CANADA, ON PARLIAMENT HILL. HIS STYLE BRINGS BACK SOME MEMORIES, OF HOW FRANK MILLER USED TO RELATE SO WELL TO CONSTITUENTS, AND TREAT EVERY EVENT, NO MATTER HOW MINOR, OR INCONSEQUENTIAL, TO THE CONCEPT OF POLITICAL VISIBILITY, AS BEING IMPORTANT TO ALL CONCERNED. I NEVER ONCE SAW FRANK RUSH THROUGH AN EVENT, OR CUT A RIBBON AND RUN, UNLESS THERE WAS SOME PRESSING DEMAND TO DO SO!
    TO INFILL HERE, OR FOOTNOTE MY OPINIONS, I HAVE TO FALL BACK ON MY OLD REPORTING DAYS, FOR MUSKOKA PUBLICATIONS, FROM THE LATE 1970'S, TO THE EARLY 1990'S, A TIME WHEN IT WAS MY JOB TO SHADOW BOTH OF OUR GOVERNMENT REPRESENTATIVES, FRANK MILLER, AND M.P. STAN DARLING, WHEN THEY WERE IN MUSKOKA TO DO THEIR ROUNDS OF RIBBON CUTTINGS, ANNIVERSARY CAKE "CUTTING," AND BIRTHDAY GREETINGS; NOT TO MENTION THEIR ATTENDANCE AT HUNDREDS OF CIVIC EVENTS. I TOOK SO MANY PHOTOGRAPHS OF THESE HONORABLE LADS, THAT THE DARK ROOM TECHNICIAN AT THE HERALD-GAZETTE, ASKED ONE DAY, IF HE COULD SEE MY CAMERA LENS, SURE THERE MUST BE PERMANENT IMAGES OF FRANK, AND STAN, ADHERED TO THE GLASS. "GEEZ TED, DO YOU EVER TAKE A PICTURE WHERE THESE GUYS (FRANK AND STAN) AREN'T IN THE FRAME?" IT WAS SORT OF LIKE HOW ACTOR / COMEDIAN BILL MURRAY, HAS BEEN SHOWING UP IN PHOTOGRAPHS, AS A SORT OF DROP IN CELEBRITY AT WEDDINGS ETC. THERE WAS A JOKE AROUND THE OFFICE, THAT EVEN IF I TOOK UNDERWATER SHOTS OF FISH, STAN DARLING AND FRANK MILLER WOULD APPEAR, EITHER EXCHANGING A CHEQUE, CUTTING A RIBBON, OR SHAKING A CONSTITUENT'S HAND.
      BACK IN THE DAYS WHEN I WORKED FOR THE MUSKOKA LAKES-GEORGIAN BAY BEACON, MY ANSWER WOULD HAVE BEEN, "I NEED THESE GUYS TO FILL THE PAPER." I WAS OFTEN SO DESPERATE FOR NEWS PHOTOS, FOR BOTH THE BEACON, AND THE HERALD-GAZETTE, ONE WEEKEND, I RAN A SERIES OF IMAGES OF STAN DARLING, EATING A HAMBURGER, AT THE ROSSEAU FALL FAIR. I USED A MOTOR-WIND TO TAKE ABOUT TWENTY OF STAN, DEVOURING WHAT MUST HAVE BEEN A WONDERFUL BURGER. ONE OF THE PRANKSTERS IN PRODUCTION, PUT THEM OUT OF ORDER, FOR THE PRINTER, WHICH, WHEN IT APPEARED IN THE WEEK'S PAPER, MADE IT LOOK LIKE STAN TOOK AN INITIAL BITE, THEN LOOKS AT IT WITH APPARENT DISGUST, AND THEN DROPS IT TO HIS SIDE, AS IF THERE HAD JUST BITTEN INTO THE LEATHER SOLE OF AN OLD SHOE. I OFFERED AN APOLOGY TO STAN ABOUT THE MIX-UP OF THE SEQUENCE, AND HE JUST GAVE ME A HARDY LAUGH, SLAPPED ME ON THE SHOULDER, AND THEN WE TALKED ABOUT SOMETHING MORE INTERESTING. "ACID RAIN." STAN WAS ALL OVER THE ACID-RAID ISSUE, BACK IN THE 1980'S, AND I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST LOCAL WRITERS, TO HIT-ON-IT, AS THE BIGGEST ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEM OF THE DECADE, IN A REGION MADE UP OF LAKES, RIVERS, BOGS AND OH YES, SOME ROCK, TREES AND EARTH BETWEEN THE WATERWAYS. NOTHING TO NEUTRALIZE THE ACID IN THE RAIN.
     WHEN I GOT THE CHANCE TO HAVE A ONE ON ONE, WITH FRANK MILLER, I LIKED TO ASK HIM ABOUT THE STATE OF SOUTH MUSKOKA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, WHERE I USED TO WORK, TO PUT MYSELF THROUGH UNIVERSITY. I WAS A FRIEND OF THE HENRY FAMILY, AND I KNEW HOW HARD HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATOR, FRANK HENRY, AND FRANK MILLER WORKED BEHIND THE SCENES, TO KEEP THE HOSPITAL OPEN AND FINANCED, EVEN AT THE MOST STRESSFUL TIMES, OF BUDGET RESTRAINTS, AND THREATS OF HOSPITAL CLOSURES. POINT IS, I WAS ABLE TO WORK WITH OUR TWO REPRESENTATIVES, AS A REPORTER, SO WELL, WE OFTEN HAD LUNCH TOGETHER BETWEEN PHOTO OPS. AT EVENTS, STAN AND FRANK, WOULD EVEN HELP SET UP PHOTOS FOR ME, ORGANIZING THE FOLKS INTO A LINE-UP, AND ASSIST GETTING THE CORRECT NAME SPELLINGS, FOR ME, OF THOSE WHO APPEARED IN THE GROUP PHOTOS. I REMEMBER FRANK HANDING ME A PIECE OF CAKE, ON ONE OCCASION, AT A FAMILY ANNIVERSARY EVENT, THAT HE WAS IN ATTENDANCE TO PRESENT A PLAQUE FROM THE PROVINCE. HE SAW THAT I COULDN'T BUST THE CROWD TO GET A SLICE, SO HE HANDED ME ONE, WITH NAPKIN, THROUGH THE CLUSTER. NOW THAT WASN'T PART OF HIS JOB, OR TO SIT DOWN WITH THE PRESS FOR A HAMBURGER, IN THE FEW MINUTES BEFORE THE VERY NEXT ENGAGEMENT. MAYBE IT DID HELP THAT I WORKED WITH THEIR FRIEND, EDITOR, AND FORMER MPP, BOB BOYER, AT THE HERALD-GAZETTE. I SUPPOSE THEY THOUGHT THAT IF BOB APPROVED OF ME, I HAD SOME CHARACTER WORTH CULTIVATING. I LIKE TO THINK IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH BOB, OR THE FACT I WORKED AT A WELL KNOWN CONSERVATIVE-LEANING NEWSPAPER. I WANTED TO WIN THEM OVER THROUGH MY COMPETENCE TO DO THE JOB WELL, AND NEVER FLUB A PHOTOGRAPH OR CUTLINE, THAT WOULD EMBARRASS THEM. I HAD NO AFFILIATION, WITH FRATERNAL ORGANIZATIONS IN THE COMMUNITY, OR POLITICAL PARTIES. I WAS JUST THE GUY WHO HUNTED NEWS, AND THEN PUT IT ALL TOGETHER FOR NEXT WEEK'S ISSUE. BUT THEY TREATED ME WITH RESPECT, AND I WILL NEVER FORGET THEM FOR THEIR KINDNESSES. IT WAS WHAT I SAW OF THESE CHAPS, DOING RIDING WORK, THAT IMPRESSED ME SO MUCH. THEY WERE SO ACCOMMODATING AND PATIENT WITH ALL THEIR CEREMONIAL GIGS. I MUST FOOTNOTE THIS, THAT IN THE 1990'S ONWARD, I WAS NO LONGER WORKING AS A REPORTER, AND DIDN'T COVER THE SUCCESSION OF LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES, SO I CAN ONLY WRITE ABOUT WHAT I KNOW.
     I THINK OF TONY, AND HIS GOOD HUMOR, WHEN FOR EXAMPLE, I RECALL ONE OF MY ENCOUNTERS WITH FRANK MILLER, ON AN OFF-RAMP OF A HUNTSVILLE OVERPASS, THERE TO ATTEND THE OFFICIAL RIBBON CUTTING OF THE HIGHWAY IMPROVEMENT. MINISTER OF TRANSPORT, JAMES SNOW, PULLED ME ASIDE BEFORE THE RIBBON CUTTING, TO LET ME KNOW, HE WAS GOING TO PLAY A LITTLE JOKE ON HIS COLLEAGUE, FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE MEDIA. JIM WAS A HUGE MAN, AND HIS SENSE OF HUMOR WAS LARGER. I AGREED TO PLAY ALONG WITH HIS JOKE. JUST BEFORE JIM WAS TO CUT THE RIBBON, ALSO BEING HELD, AT HIS LEFT SIDE, BY FRANK MILLER, ON THE COUNT OF THREE, WITH MY MOTOR-WIND TAKING MULTIPLE IMAGES, THE MINISTER OF TRANSPORT CUT FRANK'S TIE INSTEAD OF THE RIBBON. I'VE RUN THE PHOTOGRAPH MANY TIMES. FRANK HAD A GOOD LAUGH ABOUT IT, AND I'M SURE HE GOT MR. SNOW BACK, SOMETIME LATER. SOME OFFICIALS I'VE WORKED WITH, WOULD HAVE BEEN FURIOUS AT THIS KIND OF PRACTICAL JOKE, AND MADE A SCENE. I'M WINGING IT HERE, BUT I THINK TONY CLEMENT MIGHT HAVE REACTED WITH EQUAL LAUGHTER, AT SEEING THE TIP OF HIS TIE RESTING ON THE TOE OF HIS SHOE. MAYBE I'M WRONG, BUT I DON'T THINK SO. I LIKE A POLITICIAN WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR, AND JIM SNOW WAS A GLOWING EXAMPLE OF GOOD NATURE. FRANK AS WELL!
     AND LATELY, I HAVE COME TO KNOW THE LOCAL RIDING EFFORTS OF MPP TONY CLEMENT. I LIKE WHAT I'M SEEING, HEARING, AND SENSING ABOUT OUR CURRENT MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT, WHO IS ACCESSIBLE, APPROACHABLE, AND TUNED-IN TO WHAT'S GOING ON IN HIS RIDING, THAT REMINDS ME SO MUCH OF THE WAY STAN DARLING AND FRANK MILLER, USED TO LOOK AFTER THEIR CONSTITUENT NEEDS. ESPECIALLY IN HIS ONLINE COMMUNICATIONS, VIA TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM, TONY CLEMENT IS PROVING A VERY CONTEMPORARY FELLOW, AND ONE WHO MAKES IT A POINT TO BE VISIBLE AND SUPPORTIVE OF COMMUNITY EVENTS ALL OVER THE HUGE RIDING. I KNOW FROM SHADOWING FRANK AND STAN, HOW MUCH TIME THIS TAKES UP, AND REMOVES ONE FROM FAMILY AND ASSORTED RECREATIONS. I'M NOT GETTING POLITICAL HERE. THIS IS OBSERVATIONAL. AN OVERVIEW. NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF A POLITICAL PARTY, FOR ELECTION PURPOSES. BUT I WOULD VOTE FOR ANY CANDIDATE, WHO COULD PUT IN A YEOMAN'S EFFORT, LIKE WHAT I SEE TONY EXERCISING THESE DAYS, IN, AND FOR MUSKOKA. BEST OF ALL, HE'S A MAN OF ALL AGES, AND COMMUNICATES OFTEN WITH MY SON, HE CALLS "ROBERTO," ABOUT THE MUSIC SCENE. ROBERT IS TRYING TO GET TONY TO PERFORM AS AN "OPENER" IN ONE OF OUR UPCOMING "SESSIONS CONCERTS," AT ST. JAMES ANGLICAN CHURCH, HERE IN GRAVENHURST. HE DROPS INTO OUR MUSIC SHOP EVERY NOW AND AGAIN, WHEN HE'S IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, AND HE'S ALWAYS IN A GOOD MOOD. HONESTLY, IT'S WHAT STRIKES ME THE MOST. HIS POSITIVE, CHEERFUL ATTITUDE, AND WHILE SOME MAY CRITIQUE THAT AS A NEGATIVE, FOR A REPRESENTATIVE, WHO DARES TO GRIN OR CHUCKLE, IN AN ECONOMICALLY CHALLENGED REGION OF ONTARIO, IT'S STILL SOMETHING ENTIRELY NECESSARY, TO OCCASIONALLY SPREAD A LITTLE OPTIMISM, WHERE THERE IS LITTLE TO BE FOUND. AND TO MAKE TIME TO CHAT WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE STRESSED BY CONTEMPORARY ISSUES, NO MATTER WHAT THAT HAPPENS TO BE, AT ANY GIVEN TIME. HE COULD SLUFF-IT-OFF, AS I'VE KNOWN OTHER GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS TO DO; SO EVEN MY GRANDFATHER STAN, MIGHT HAVE GNASHED HIS TEETH A LITTLE LESS, IF HE COULD HAVE HAD AN AUDIENCE WITH SUCH AN APPROACHABLE LAD, AS TONY CLEMENT.
     SOME REPORTER ON AN INVESTIGATIVE JAG, MIGHT READ INTO THIS BLOG, THAT I'M STARTING TONY'S RE-ELECTION BID AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. ISN'T SO. I DO WANT TO WEIGH-IN ON THIS, BECAUSE AS A REGIONAL HISTORIAN, I KNOW WHAT MANY OF THE MUSKOKA CONSTITUENTS HAVE WANTED OF THEIR ELECTED OFFICIALS, DATING BACK TO THE 1860'S. WE WANT AN ELECTED OFFICIAL WHO WILL LISTEN AND RESPOND, TO OUR ENQUIRIES, IN A TIMELY FASHION. WE WANT AN ORDINARY PERSON TO PUT IN AN EXTRAORDINARY EFFORT ON OUR BEHALF. WE WANT A REPRESENTATIVE WHO DOESN'T LOOK AT US, AS IF WE'RE NUTS, WHEN WE OFFER A PERFORMANCE CRITIQUE, AND ONE WHO WILL TAKE SUGGESTIONS WITHOUT ROLLING HIS EYES BACK, AND THEN LOOKING AT US, AS IF WE'D JUST FINISHED A KEG OF ALE. EVERY CONSTITUENT IN CANADA WANTS THIS KIND OF SPECIAL TUNED-IN ATTENTION AND FOCUS, BUT IT IS NOT FAIR AND EQUAL IN THIS REGARD, ACROSS THE COUNTRY. WE ARE LUCKY HERE IN MUSKOKA, TO HAVE TONY CLEMENT AND NORM MILLER, AND THIS DOES NOT MEAN I'M A TORY IN DISGUISE. TO ME, THESE CHAPS ARE OUR LINKS TO THE PRIME MINISTER, AND THE PREMIER, AND PARTY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO ME. THEY ARE IN PLACE, TO GIVE US A VOICE. FOR ME TO SAY I'M SATISFIED WITH THEIR PERFORMANCE, MAY NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO THEM WHATSOEVER. THAT'S OKAY. THIS IS AN OPINION PIECE. I'M NOT WRITING IT TO HUSTLE A POLITICAL FAVOR. I JUST KNOW A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT REGIONAL HISTORY, IN THIS REGARD, AND THAT'S WHERE I'M COMING FROM. AS A POLITICAL WATCHER, I GNASH MY TEETH AND GRIND MY JAW, JUST LIKE STAN, MERLE, AND ED IN THE OLD FAMILY TREE. THIS ISN'T ONE OF THOSE SITUATIONS.
     I'VE WRIITEN ALL THE ABOVE, WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT, IN UPPER CASE, A TELL-TALE SIGN THAT I'M GNASHING NOW, EVEN JUST BRUSHING BY THE POLITICAL SCENE. NOW, WITH A FEW BURDENS OF PERSONAL HISTORY OFF MY CHEST, I'VE KIND OF MELLOWED, SO I CAN DROP THE ALL-CAPS THING.

I First Met Tony Clement at the Windermere Flea Market - I tried to sell him an antique. He didn't want what I was selling!

     I was like a lot of other Muskoka oldtimers, when Tony Clement, changed from his prior role, as a provincial M.P.P. in the government of Mike Harris, to the federal scene. Quite a few of us were not impressed by those years of governance in this province, or those playing a cabinet role. I'm winging here, because many constituents had the suspicion, that as a seasonal resident in the Port Sydney area, Tony only loved us for our conservative party traditions. It was said, time and again, that you could run a ball point pen, or a Fiscus Plant, under the Tory banner, and win the riding. So there was some initial mistrust, that he may have been a semi-parachute candidate, vying for a safe federal seat. I only know what I've heard, and that doesn't make me a very good reporter, or historian, to print what might only be hearsay at best.
     It was very early in his term of office, after he was elected, when I met him at the annual Lions Club Flea Market, in uptown Windermere (my wife's home village). Suzanne, a teacher / librarian at Gravenhurst High School, at the time, had already met him, when he participated in an all-candidates forum that year, for students. She claimed he took her "Toronto Star" without asking permission. I still get detentions at home. So he got lucky that day. Then there was a claim about a broken coffee cup he had been using. village people are so petty, for gosh sakes.
     I was sitting at the back of our canopy, (we were antique vendors at the sale) and was, with some irony, reading the Toronto Star. I sensed someone was watching me read, and suspecting it was another customer, using the wrong entrance to our portable shop, I put my paper in my lap, and asked if I could help him with something. Well, I soon realized it was our new Member of Parliament, Tony Clement, with a friend. So with his head still poked through a slit in the canopy, I extended my hand in greeting, and suggested this was a hell of a way to make an introduction. He was curious about our inventory, and I was reading, and gnashing about the front page articles, that must have had something or other to do with politics. I broke him free, into the back-space of our booth, and we had a little chat about his first days in office on Parliament Hill. I liked the cut of his jib right off. I liked him as a person, not because he was part of what continues to be called "the Conservative Government." On that day, he was visiting his riding, and checking out a community yard sale. What could be more comfortable, and sociable, than mingling with the local Windermere and District Lions Club, vendors, and all those chasing after elusive bargains?
     As is my tradition, beyond grinding teeth, and opining about everything on God's green earth, I talked to him a little bit about former M.P.'s and M.P.P.'s who served Muskoka well, in the past; as if to say to him without my usual spicy bluntness, "Tony, I'm watching you for the good of the constituency." I regaled him, as I am, with you kind folks right now, with stories about my years following his predecessors, from one corner of the district to the other; and you know, he didn't give me the usual brush off, I've come to expect from my long winded anecdotes. He even seemed kind of amused about tales of Frank Miller, and Stan Darling, and the many hours I spent tagging along, and watching them conduct their riding business. I think I may have even told him about the hamburger-eating caper, with Stan Darling, and how we messed-up the order of photographs in the paper; and I could sense then, that the burning question was, "do you still work for the newspaper?" I explained that we weren't actually trying to make Stan look bad, or the Rosseau Fall Fair, for serving unsavoury burgers. We all got a little wild on press days, after the twelfth hour, standing on our feet, with layout knives and rollers, and dreams of cold beer in our minds. "No Tony, you don't have anything to worry about; I've hung up my camera to become an antique dealer!" By the look on his face, he was either relieved or confused. I do that to people all the time.
     I was impressed that he was mingling with our patrons, and introducing himself when, truthfully, there was nothing to gain. He had already been elected. Yet he still felt compelled to make himself familiar to cottagers and permanent residents, and even some day travelers to the region, he met in the thick summer-time mob.
     I have seen him at dozens of Muskoka events since, and he is always doing roughly the same thing; taking a few moments out of his recreational time, to visit with constituents, or anyone he happens to bump into, who recognizes him from television film clips. I remember watching him one night, at the Midnight Madness Sale, in Bracebridge, trying to have a soft drink, and the occasional glance at this phone, but people kept tapping him on the shoulder, to say hello, and shake his hand. They could have ignored him. Right? Well, they didn't, and I was a witness. I haven't seen that, honestly, since the days of Frank and Stan. People going far out of the way, to extend greetings. Maybe it's because I'm watching him more closely, versus some of the other representatives we've had in the past thirty years. It seems to me, that folks around here like him. Really! They may grumble about the policies of the federal government, but they approve of Tony Clement's effort to represent our region, on the national scale. At least that's my impression, and I'm a crusty old fart, who likes less and less of this whacky world each week.
     One of the aspects of his relationship to constituents, that seems most encouraging, and sensible, is his active use of "Twitter," and "Instagram," to stay in touch with the region as a whole, on current affairs, events, and observations, treating all those who use this form of electronic togetherness, as equals in cyberspace. In this way, he has connected with the younger generation, which truth be known, was not as accessible for Frank Miller and Stan Darling. I'm reasonably sure, even if they were still around with all this technological improvement, both would have avoided the twitter-verse. Tony makes great use of these tools of communication, and it's how son Robert has touched base, numerous times, in the past two years, with our M.P. But more so, it's just about Twitter users, connecting over interesting stuff in the region (and elsewhere, such as news of concerts attended) versus an M.P.'s deliberate choice of outreach to constituents. I may be wrong here, but I don't think so! I think his approval rate is higher, as a result, because especially with younger constituents, he is seen as "one of us!" Now that's bloody hard to achieve, unless you happen to be a member of the young Conservatives, etc., or a rare species of teenager, who prefers attending conferences for recreation. I don't think there is anything more important, right now, than including young people in provincial and national affairs; not to smother them with politics at an early age, but to show them how the system works for them, up close and personal.    It's hard to deny, there's a serious drift these days, of young people, staying as far away from political involvement as possible; and that does not serve the future of our democracy, well at all.
     Tony Clement showed up in the music shop one day, and asked Andrew to take a picture of him, while he posed with an electric guitar. Now just in case you're thinking, he wanted to be seen with a kick-ass stratocaster, or bad-ass bass, he was doing so in jest, by modeling a pink "Hello Kitty" electric, we had-in on consignment. Now I like that quality in an M.P. He posted that image on-line, within seconds, for the rest of Canada to see. I would have captioned that picture, if I'd posted it in my blog, "Tony The Tiger, a real Pussy Cat!" My son Andrew, co-owner of Currie's Music, snapped the photo. He's had the tour here, and visited the studio, and I'm told he even held the tenor banjo, that we believe, had once belonged to Canadian landscape artist, Tom Thomson. We have to correct Tony on one thing though, and it's a common misconception. Thomson was never a member of the Group of Seven, as he perished in Algonquin Park, on Canoe Lake, in July 1917, before the art association was formed. He was, however, an inspiration for the group, just not a member.
     I've been thinking a lot about politics recently, especially considering the lackluster interest in the upcoming municipal elections, in October. There are so few candidates, who have declared, and at present, it looks like the current mayor might even be acclaimed, unless a challenger pops up real soon. I thought about running for office myself, but then I sobered up. I just worry that so many citizens have just given up on the political process, and I believe that is the result of stuffy, standoffish behavior, of many who are elected to represent us, at all three levels of governance. There will be constituents spitting fire, that I would even consider throwing Tony Clement even one petal of a bouquet, let alone the whole bunch. Yet what I see out there, is a representative who has not elevated himself, in attitude, above the people he represents, on a day to day interaction in the community. Even when he conducts constituency business, he doesn't show, in my opinion, the slightest arrogance of, station in life, and yes, he can be lost in a crowd. He seems to be good with being one of the gang, and I find that endearing in so many ways, as does son Robert, a young man, who feels we finally have an elected official he can call contemporary.
     Just because I offer these words of approval, for our M.P. Tony Clement, it doesn't mean that the whole riding should feel the same. I'm not trying to convince you, or any one else, that he's the best darn M.P we've ever had. I'm not a card carrying Tory, and I never will be. I don't even know if he will run in another election, or if he likes what he's doing at present. I really don't know too much about him, period. I do observe and listen a lot. His approval is higher than I've seen, and known of, for a long time, and I'm pretty fussy about making blanket statements, or casting opinions that might, like a two headed serpent, bite me on the ass twice as hard at the same time. I know what makes me feel comfortable as a constituent, and I wouldn't feel the least bit uncomfortable taking-up an urgent issue with him, regardless whether he would side with me, or offer a counterpoint explanation. I haven't always felt this way. I'm used to having eyes rolled, and grins turned to frowns when I enter a room. So if I'm pretty sure he's an approachable guy, with a kind demeanour, there must be something to it, because I'm a grumpy old man who even dislikes his porridge.
     We're going to keep on trying to get Tony Clement to be the "opener," for one of our upcoming concerts here in Gravenhurst. If you're talking to Tony, some time in the near future, let him know you would spend big bucks to see him on stage. Then when we offer tickets to our show, for little bucks, it will seem like such an amazing entertainment value, with the bonus, of a special guest appearance.
     I never thought that I'd see another Muskoka representative, who would remind me of my days chumming, as a reporter-kind, with Frank Miller, and Stan Darling. It makes me wish I was back on the news hustings, so I could meet up with Tony for some interesting feature coverage, around the district. In a MacTier diner, awaiting his next engagement, Frank bought me a hamburger and fries. I guess I looked hungry. Imagine that? An honorable member of Provincial Parliament, buying a lowly reporter lunch. Unless I suddenly get a job with the local press corp again, and have to shadow Tony instead, I'm not going to know too much about his total and forgiving generosity, in the way of a burgers and fries, for an underling, but I' m willing to bet he'd at least buy me a coffee. As reporters on weeklies are generally broke, and always thirsting after something, a free coffee is like getting a sirloin on a silver platter. How can you tell my journalism textbook, was Paul Rimstead's "Cocktails and Jockstraps?"
     Thanks Mr. Clement for serving our region of this country, with the respect, civility, and humanity it deserves. Nuff said. There's always a spare guitar here, needing a player, and a few traveling wilburys who come to lodge here, looking to jam.
     There are a lot of woes out there, we'd like to pin-on politicians. I have a few myself. Every now and again, we have to look up from our plows, and see that there's a bigger picture, a broader horizon, than just those straight furrows, gouged into the great old earth. There is so much more to see and experience, and it all becomes clearer with an open mind. It's commonplace to judge based on events and conduct of the past. On this occasion, I think we should look beyond what our expectations demand, and see what is happening in our region beyond the politics. It's hard to do for someone like me. I hope I've at least demonstrated a willingness to try.
     Thanks so much for joining me today. It's always a pleasure to be in your company.







JAMES SNOW GAVE ME A GREAT PHOTOGRAPHIC OPPORTUNITY - AT FRANK MILLER'S EXPENSE

No comments: